Numberplate loop attachment on fat bars

I have a YZ450F (05) with the standard Renthal Bars. Took a spill at the weekend and they are a little out of whack.

Going to move over to a fat bar but I was wondering what the numberplate attaches to with this setup.

Pictures would be nice, but any info is appreciated.

Works just fine on my CRF.....doesn't move at all:thumbsup:

IMG_1735.jpg

I always cut mine off with a dremel. Looks clean, has never affected the ops or maintenance.

If you cut it off you need to leave a little bit of it and zip-ty it to your bars. Otherwise your front brake hose can catch on it and then you end up in big trouble, I've seen it happen. This is why manufacturers put that piece on the numberplate. Also, that piece holds the clutch and hotstart cables on the 06 and newer models.

If you cut it off you need to leave a little bit of it and zip-ty it to your bars. Otherwise your front brake hose can catch on it and then you end up in big trouble, I've seen hit happen. This is why manufacturers put that piece on the numberplate. Also, that piece holds the clutch and hotstart cables on the 06 and newer models.
Yep, keeps the brake hose from hooking over the number plate and causing, um, trouble. :thumbsup:
If you cut it off you need to leave a little bit of it and zip-ty it to your bars. Otherwise your front brake hose can catch on it and then you end up in big trouble, I've seen it happen. This is why manufacturers put that piece on the numberplate. Also, that piece holds the clutch and hotstart cables on the 06 and newer models.

First Ive heard of that sort of thing. Wow never even thought of it!

Not bashing you guys, but my 05 ktm is stock with out that over the bar strap as well as most late model KTMs?

Ive been riding and racing for years like that. Great now its Jinxed!:confused: :confused: Good thing I've got life insurance.

KTMs and Husqvarnas deal with this issue in other ways. They have guides that hold the hose very close to the numberplate so that it cannot flop around as much and reduce the risk of it hooking. They also have a little tab sticking out to the one side to hold the hose out. Look at the shape of the KTM number plate and you will see the extra tab I'm talking about.

ktm-number-plate.jpg

Now that I'm jinxed.....

I like the zip ty idea! Guess I better do something about it.

It's one of those things like a snake bite kit. Most people never need it. But....

Yeah, no kidding!

Really, I never considered any potential risk. Guess it was good that I replied to this thread!

It seems to me as if a number of things would have to go wrong at the same time for it to actually hook the hose over the plate.