HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carl_Youngstrom

Air box seal

2 posts in this topic

Maybe this has been covered before.

I read an article in the April Dirt Rider about sealing the airbox-airboot joint. I decided to take a look at the one on my 2001 WR. There is no sealer there. Just rubber to plastic. I feel much better adding a gasket sealer. Thought others may like to do the same.

Was the Dirt Rider article referring to all bikes or just the CRs? I know they were having problems with the aibox/boot seal.

You could check the seal just like you would if checking manifold sealing: while the motor's running, spray some solvent (WD-40 would probably work) around the seal area and see if the motor did anything strange. If it does, then sealing would probably be beneficial. I read that 3M adhesive #847 would work to fix this (it's impervious to gas and oil). If spraying WD-40 around the seal doesn't do anything to the motor, you're probably wasting your time. The air boot on my bike always looks pretty clean.