Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr250ryder

yz cdi unit comparable to wr

11 posts in this topic

I've searched for a while, and Still don't know the answer to this question. It's very simple. Is the wr cdi unit, with grey wire mod done the EXACT same as the yz cdi unit. If not what are the difference and will the yz cdi unit work on a wr and vice versa.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know the differences, but here are the Yamaha part numbers for the 2007 model year:

YZ-450F 2S2-85540-70-00

WR-450F 5JT-85540-E0-00

Yes, I noticed that the part numbers were different too (this is for a 05). I did some reading and it looks to me, that you can switch them and have yz mapping on the wr OR clip the grey wire and its the same. I'm trying to make my bike a race weapon thats the only reason why I want to know if I can use the YZ cdi unit, or if it doesn't matter.

I tried this. No luck.

I bought a YZ CDI on Ebay and tried to hook it up. It really only made sense to do it one way. I spent about 3 hours with the two manuals sorting things out, carefully pulling the plugs apart etc. I was putting a WR motor in a YZ frame and didn't want to weld on the bracket for the huge ugly exposed WR CDI.

I tried this. No luck.

I bought a YZ CDI on Ebay and tried to hook it up. It really only made sense to do it one way. I spent about 3 hours with the two manuals sorting things out, carefully pulling the plugs apart etc. I was putting a WR motor in a YZ frame and didn't want to weld on the bracket for the huge ugly exposed WR CDI.

This is because there isn't a high-voltage charging signal in the WR stator for the YZ ignition capacitor to get charged.

YZF has 2 coils and WR just one. So there si no fit what so ever. You have to change all ignition cabling if you change to YZF cdi

Timo McKeown