HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wheelnut46

XR650L oil tube restriction?

6 posts in this topic

Anyone ever give any thought to how thin that little chrome tube is that goes from the oil filter housing up to the head? I often wonder if it is too restrictive, especially for heavier oils.

I've often wondered that too, but then I also thought that the Honda engineers probably thought about it as well and decided on that size for a reason. Generally, they make darn good engines, but nobody is perfect. Just what kind of oil flow is necessary to properly lube the head I wonder ? Maybe the oil pump needs that size tube to develop some back pressure or something ?

It is a common mod to drill out the center of the bolts to allow for a little more oil. I have also seen complete replacements for the oil tube using larger hoses.

The oil tube should flow enough to maintain the oil flow thruough the cam (the cam just rleies on oil flow rather that any sort of high pressure).

Tho Ive fitted a braided HEL hose on my engine for extra reassurance!!

The pump and flow system are matched. If you mess with the flow in one area the other area(s) will have less flow or presure unless the pump is increased in size or so the "factory" says..,but then again i'm sure the pumps are designed for future wear of the motor and can handle some mods but nothing too extream. Like on the older gsxr susuki's they were oil cooled with jets of oil hitting the bottom of the pistons if ya messed with cam flow you were asking for trouble.

The pump and flow system are matched. If you mess with the flow in one area the other area(s) will have less flow or presure unless the pump is increased in size or so the "factory" says..,but then again i'm sure the pumps are designed for future wear of the motor and can handle some mods but nothing too extream. Like on the older gsxr susuki's they were oil cooled with jets of oil hitting the bottom of the pistons if ya messed with cam flow you were asking for trouble.

i agree. i dont think i'll be doing any lubrication sys. mods except for an oil cooler.