number of hours between oil changes

The service manual I have is for the dual sport xr650r that is not sold here in the US. It lists service intervals in miles/kilometers. I have a hour meter on my 02 XR650R and need to know how many hours I should ride between oil changes. I always use Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic. Right now I have 12 hrs since the last oil change and it still looks pretty clean. I ride 100% dirt around Las Vegas.

The service manual I have is for the dual sport xr650r that is not sold here in the US. It lists service intervals in miles/kilometers. I have a hour meter on my 02 XR650R and need to know how many hours I should ride between oil changes. I always use Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic. Right now I have 12 hrs since the last oil change and it still looks pretty clean. I ride 100% dirt around Las Vegas.

Not claiming this is 100% attributable to the Pig, but the manual to my Yamaha Raptor 700 uses hours for the metric, and after break-in, etc., it recommends oil changes at a 160 Hour interval, using dino oil. This engine is a dry-sump, and the transmission/crankcase share the same oil. I'll most likely change Rotella 15w-40 dino at 60-80 hours since most of my riding involves some level of airborne dust.

So for 100% synth, at 12 hours, you really haven't even scratched the surface.

This type of debate can go on, with all kinds of recommendations, but no appreciable consensus. The only facts you will obtain are from an oil analysis outfit like Blackstone labs.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.html

c16746.gif

thats cool! is that expensive to have done? how do you ship the used motor oil?

thats cool! is that expensive to have done? how do you ship the used motor oil?

Looks like $22.50 US, with a free submission kit:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

Once you get a handle on the condition of your oil, you can most likely just plan on it being fairly consistent, and just schedule oil changes according to the condition of your oil, based on a test or two.

Kinda like, "at 40 hours, it was half 'used up', sent in another sample at 60 hours, and the second test showed it still had about another 20 or so useful hours left in it." In this example, you could reason that max safe lifespan for your choice of oil would be about 80 hours or so. This should save quite a bit of $$$, especially if you run full synth, and are of the mindset that changing it after every ride (2-4 hours) is what you are doing.

Rotella T is the shizzle. I like it. I get UOA's on my cars bikes and ATVs. I always use Blackstone. they will give you as many kits as you want.

XRR manual says 600mi (I think). I usually ride 60mi (dirt trails) in about 3hrs ride time. That would be 30hrs for 600mi. Add a bunch of idle running time and some extra tuning/goofing around time and I would estimate close to 40hrs between oil changes.

BTW: That's using 10w40 Amsoil synth.

Used to do changes at 10-15hrs on my KTM 525 as it was rode harder and has less oil capacity.

Every ten to fifteen hours, every two weeks or in my case 300 miles. Based on desert riding only and I use Honda HP4 20/50, first motor went 19K before a valve job and top end.