XRL Wing Removal?

I've searched and read some posts on removing the wings/shrouds from the 650L. Most think it doesn't affect cooling that much, so I was thinking of removing them. Definitely like the look better with them off.

My question: When I've had them off for maintenance, the stock tank doesn't seem to be supported very well like it is with them on. I was wondering if this is ok, and are there any mods/aftermarket parts to tie the tank into the frame using the existing holes for the wings?

Thanks,

Suds

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've searched and read some posts on removing the wings/shrouds from the 650L. Most think it doesn't affect cooling that much, so I was thinking of removing them. Definitely like the look better with them off.

My question: When I've had them off for maintenance, the stock tank doesn't seem to be supported very well like it is with them on. I was wondering if this is ok, and are there any mods/aftermarket parts to tie the tank into the frame using the existing holes for the wings?

Thanks,

Suds

The wings are to help cool the engine. One test may be to use a oil temperature dipstick to see what the temperature difference is w/ and w/o the wings, especially at sustained highway speeds of 70 mph for example.... Personally I took mine off after I went the the aftermarket large capacity Clarke 4.7 gal tank (wings have to come off fot this tank option). I did not do this test, but I am curious to see of the oil temp goes up w/o the wings.

The wings are to help cool the engine. One test may be to use a oil temperature dipstick to see what the temperature difference is w/ and w/o the wings, especially at sustained highway speeds of 70 mph for example.... Personally I took mine off after I went the the aftermarket large capacity Clarke 4.7 gal tank (wings have to come off fot this tank option). I did not do this test, but I am curious to see of the oil temp goes up w/o the wings.

From what I've read in other posts, the temp does go up some, but not enough to worry about, except during long highway runs.

I'm more worried abut the tank being supported properly. Seems kid of loose with them off.

Thanks,

Suds

several are running with shrouds off without any tank problems. Martin did a test i think with about 25 degree differences so as long as your not dead summer 100 degrees you should be fine without shrouds. Most tanks are only 2 bolts and a strap rear so dont think you need to be worried about that.

From what I've read in other posts, the temp does go up some, but not enough to worry about, except during long highway runs.

I'm more worried abut the tank being supported properly. Seems kid of loose with them off.

Thanks,

Suds

The Clarke 4.7 gal tank uses an extra support brace that uses the thread mounts that the wings previously used. It is rock solid.

I did several tests (under strict laboratory conditions:ride: ) and there is no doubt the temp rises faster and higher without the shrouds. The Honda engineers put them on for a reason. I'm not saying you will ruin the bike without them but you must balance it out. Off highway, I saw an average of about 12 - 15 degrees higher and on the highway 25-30 degrees higher:prof: Right now, this is the only thing holding me back from a larger aftermarket tank.

I did several tests (under strict laboratory conditions:ride: ) and there is no doubt the temp rises faster and higher without the shrouds. The Honda engineers put them on for a reason. I'm not saying you will ruin the bike without them but you must balance it out. Off highway, I saw an average of about 12 - 15 degrees higher and on the highway 25-30 degrees higher:prof: Right now, this is the only thing holding me back from a larger aftermarket tank.

In the summertime without the wings I was running an average of 225-250 (80 degree plus days) with wings back on and running castrol 20-50W I run about 200 ish, with wings on and in the 60's it ran AT 150-180! during a 10 mile ride.

In the summertime without the wings I was running an average of 225-250 (80 degree plus days) with wings back on and running castrol 20-50W I run about 200 ish, with wings on and in the 60's it ran AT 150-180! during a 10 mile ride.

Ok, this answers one question, but the breakdown viscosity of oil should be at much higher temps...what would be the temp at surfaces where metal parts move and causing potential engine seize-ups?

RODRIGEO prolly 300 and up are in that danger zone, since we are just reading the temp in the frame the oil in the motor is prolly gonna be a few higher. Here in CA desert on some 100+ days i saw 275 so that was my highest and i have stock tank with shrouds and NO oil cooler.

A good temp for just about any oil should be 220ish. 250 is fine, I wouldnt like to see my oil at 275 for long. If you are in the 250-300 temps make sure you use a 20w50. A 15w40 HDEO oil will stay in grade longer than a 20w50. 50's can shear down to 40w fast on a bike. Most oils have a flash point of @ 380-430ish higher for syntetics. Just change your oil often. I recommend RotellaT for $9 you can change your oil 2x. I have seen excellent OA's on this oil.

A good temp for just about any oil should be 220ish. 250 is fine, I wouldnt like to see my oil at 275 for long. If you are in the 250-300 temps make sure you use a 20w50. A 15w40 HDEO oil will stay in grade longer than a 20w50. 50's can shear down to 40w fast on a bike. Most oils have a flash point of @ 380-430ish higher for syntetics. Just change your oil often. I recommend RotellaT for $9 you can change your oil 2x. I have seen excellent OA's on this oil.

I always use 20/50 in mine year round per XRs only, and 1000 mile changes since its not ridden alot, i cant help getting to 275 on a day when its 110 so ill just have to get a 400 cooler before next summer.