HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matts06yzf

Love my 08 but why....

14 posts in this topic

Why is the thing so hard to start? Is it a new bike thing probably only has 45mins on it. I have to kick kick kick. I have never bought a brand new bike so whats the scoop?

Why is the thing so hard to start? Is it a new bike thing probably only has 45mins on it. I have to kick kick kick. I have never bought a brand new bike so whats the scoop?

Are you following the procedure? Just past top dead center and jump on the starter with all your weight?

Are you following the procedure? Just past top dead center and jump on the starter with all your weight?

Personally, I wouldnt do that, not required and probably a little hard on things.

Are you refering to when it's cold? Usually choke on, a couple twists of the throttle to prime and kick through with no throttle will light mine in the first couple kicks.

i noticed i when i had my bike new it takes a bit of breaking in, and after a few rides the motor 'frees up' it turns over eaiser

I know how to start a damn bike had them my whole life just never had a brand new 4 stroke. 06 was used when I bought it. Thanks guys

check you idle.. it may be set low.. my 07 was like this.. a half turn it fired right up.

This was the case with my '06 too and my '08...turn the idle up a hair.

i noticed i when i had my bike new it takes a bit of breaking in, and after a few rides the motor 'frees up' it turns over eaiser

Also true...

It's just a new bike thing. Every new bike I've ever had is hard to start the first few times out (my '08 450 is no different). After a few rides you'll forget you ever had a problem...

Still using manual decompression, eh? The 450 has no such "procedure"; you just kick them. Figuring out the balance of idle speed, fuel mix, choke/no choke, etc. is all the mystery there is to them.

I am new to the 450 world too. The first day it took about 10 kicks, then I was almost too tired to ride. :thumbsup: Lot harder to kick then a 2 stroke. Now it starts on the first or second kick when cold, :thumbsup: and first kick when warm. :thumbsup: For cold starts I pull the cold start button on the side of the carb. and when hot pull in the hot start lever on the bars, and away we go. I forgot to tell my Boyfriend about the hot start lever the first time he rode it (he's used to electric start and 4 wheels) and it about wore him out tring to start it. :worthy:

My yz250f was very hard to start when it was new. Getting the fuel screw set properly helped it a lot. But, it still usually requires 3-4 kicks. My new 07 450 almost always starts the first kick. Also, it seems every bike seems to have a "trick" . Some like 1 twist of the throttle when cold and some like 3 twists. Sometimes the hard part is finding the "trick".

When cold, pull choke on, pull start lever on bars. No need to kick hard. Couple kicks will fire it up...:thumbsup:

I just twist the throttle 3 times, pull in the hot start (engine hot or cold) and kick away.

If you need to use the hot start on a cold engine, wouldn't this indicate a very rich fuel mixture?