Sleeving a bearing in the front hub...

Has anyone ever put a thin metal sleeve on a bearing to take the play out of it?

When I got my 99 new, I remember the first time I replaced the bearings in the front hub the left side took little or no effort to knock the bearing out. The next time I replaced them it took even less effort. (it almost fell out on its own) I can turn the inner race of the bearing with my finger and see the outer race turning slowly in the hub. So I know for a fact it is a problem with the hub and not the bearing.

So my front hub is pretty much shot and I am looking at $170 to replace it with a stock hub which I dont want to do. Is there anything I can do to make a sleeve for the bearing? It would have to be a wafer thin piece of metal.

Seems like to me this was a fatory defect. But I imagine it has too many miles on it to even consider warrating the hub.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do?

anyone ever tried a little locktite

I have used Araldite two part epoxy in the past. Works really well. Refit the axle to the hub to make sure alignment is OK.

Originally posted by wrsm:

I have used Araldite two part epoxy in the past. Works really well. Refit the axle to the hub to make sure alignment is OK.

Kev, you bodger you

:) I'm shocked LOL! :D

Had a similar problem with a very old mx bike, would always get grief at scrutineering as they thought the bearing had play..

Wrapping aluminium tape around the bearing worked fine as a bodge. The proper solution would be to look up a bearing with the same ID and a slightly larger OD, then get the hub machined to suit..

Thanks guys for the ideas! :D

I espically like the idea of machining the hub out and going one size bigger on the O.D.

Yamaha, just try to get my money!!!! :):D:D

I would just like to point out to the group (especially Guy :D ) and any other UK riders (especially any future buyer) that my current bike does not have a bearing fixed in place by araldite. :)

Anyway, even if it did, it would be a good fix to the problem!!

"Honest" Kev

:) Hmmmnnn.....Never raced or rallied sir...one careful owner...well it must have had one careful owner at some point! LOL :D:D