removing stock lights/speedo

I am installing a complete CRF 450 front end on my 07 XR650L. I will be removing the stock headlight, speedo/guages and installing a UFO DOT headlight with signals and a Trail Tech computer. Are there any tricks I need to know or is it just simple plug and play?

DBM

• 4 months later...

I'd also like to see a pic when you get it done. I have an '04 XR650L and HATE the stock headlight. It makes it look like an '84 instead of an '04. I've been thinking of bolting on a new CRF headlight, so I'm curious how hard it will be to do it.

I am installing a complete CRF 450 front end on my 07 XR650L. I will be removing the stock headlight, speedo/guages and installing a UFO DOT headlight with signals and a Trail Tech computer. Are there any tricks I need to know or is it just simple plug and play?

DBM

Hi DBM.

First of all, changing the headlight makes this swap a lot easier, as you can ditch the OE bracket setup. Getting rid of the gauges makes it even easier.

The only thing that I see that may need consideration is the key switch. For me, I purchased an aftermarket switch from Procycle, which is pretty clean and much lighter. But the part to pay attention to is the type of key switch. The switches for bikes like CRFs and XRRs actually work inversely of the L switch, meaning that when the key is off, the bike is actually on. Procycle recently added a second SKU that works for the L.

It's also a little work to arrange the wiring cleanly so that it fits behind the shallower aftermarket light and also stays out of the water. I pulled some additional parts of the harness through the large boot, if I find a second boot somehow I will add it for more water protection.

Oh yeah, may have to ditch the horn.

BP

DBM

I am in the middle of doing this swap myself. I may have hit a snag, and wanted to check something with you regarding the Emig stem in the CRF clamps. Did you press yours in yet and do you have it available to look at?

BP

I just did the conversion and the wiring is a total rats nest. I am going to spend this weekend tidying it up to my likings. I am going with the dual 4 inch fuegos and it is getting pretty crowded in there. I comepletly choped my speedo in half with a band saw to remove the idiot lights from the speedo part. Mounted it on a leftover piece of carbon I think it is going to look cool. Dont forget about brake lines too. I have to make mine longer to go over the lights and the new gauge. Getting my gauges back so I get to mount them next week sometime. also have to make a braket to mount to the triple clamps that holds the brakeline and the turnsignals. That sam braket is going to hold up my new windscreen.

I just did the conversion and the wiring is a total rats nest. I am going to spend this weekend tidying it up to my likings. I am going with the dual 4 inch fuegos and it is getting pretty crowded in there. I comepletly choped my speedo in half with a band saw to remove the idiot lights from the speedo part. Mounted it on a leftover piece of carbon I think it is going to look cool. Dont forget about brake lines too. I have to make mine longer to go over the lights and the new gauge. Getting my gauges back so I get to mount them next week sometime. also have to make a braket to mount to the triple clamps that holds the brakeline and the turnsignals. That sam braket is going to hold up my new windscreen.

Stepho, did you use the Emig stem? I did and think I have a problem. The stem is pressed in, but at the bearing are in the bottom clamp the stem lip is not flush with the top of the clamp surface. Photo (poor quality) shows this:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/Brtp4/DSC02297.jpg

Let me know if this made any sense.

BP

how far down is the flange. did you use heat to instal, mine just slid on after i heated up the Triple. was it pressed or hammered in. the inner race should make contact with the triple. and once i clamped the top clamp on there was still alot of steering stem thread sticking past the nut.

how far down is the flange. did you use heat to instal, mine just slid on after i heated up the Triple. was it pressed or hammered in. the inner race should make contact with the triple. and once i clamped the top clamp on there was still alot of steering stem thread sticking past the nut.

The flange is down about 2 mm. Was yours flush?

I did not use heat, but did use a press, and it just slid in. The clamp itself started to flex, which I think indicated enough pressure.

Can't install it yet, don't have the bearings.

BP

ya know although it sounds like a hot set up, I agree with Denn. I would opt out for the XR650R vs the L if I was looking at more thoroughbred off road handling qualities. The L is what it is - a compromise and althought I personally think it is the very best dual sport ever made! and probably the most popular by gaged by a manfacturing record of 15 years straight! you can as with most things dump a ton of money in it and somewhere along the line it just don't get any better. Plus personally I don't think I could ever ride an L hard enough to tell the difference between CRF and the stock forks. I would think the CRF forks would feel better and maybe eliminate that tall - tuck and dive feel in turns.