Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KAS

Quick reminder for all those getting new bikes

29 posts in this topic

With all these people buying new '08's, just thought I'd post up a little reminder to lube your bearings!

I've had my new 450 for a few weeks and I've been kinda putting off doing it, but today I got after it.

Its a joke how they prep the swingarm, linkage & steering bearings at the factory. A think skin of vaseline-ish looking stuff, thats it.

i did my linkage bearings but not my swing arm or my head tube do you need a special tool to do it?

You dont need any real special tools. Just a big wrench for the top nut(#6). A punch will work instead of a spanner wrench on the other nut (#3 in pic).

When you put it back together the nut(#3) should be tightened, then rotate the clamps left and right, then loosen the nut and retighten lightly, basically just snug. You can go by "feel" of the turning resistance to get an idea of how snug to go. The top nut is tightened fairly tight, I forget the spec, but it is quite a bit. Someone got it handy?

The swingarm bearings dont require any special tools.

07YZ450Fsteeringstem.jpg

This is the first requirement to any new bike...there is simply not enough grease installed in bearings/ races or linkage. I do this before ride #1 on all my new bikes.

Never wait long to do all of this as it will cause more havoc the longer you wait, especially if you ride in wet conditions.

Also be careful not to over tighten the steering spanner nut (under the top clamp) this will cause premature wear on the top bearing. Use proper torque or add punch marks to the stock postion before removal. :thumbsup:

With all these people buying new '08's, just thought I'd post up a little reminder to lube your bearings!

I've had my new 450 for a few weeks and I've been kinda putting off doing it, but today I got after it.

Its a joke how they prep the swingarm, linkage & steering bearings at the factory. A think skin of vaseline-ish looking stuff, thats it.

Its funny how far the Japanese go to save a buck. To much grease weighs to much and therefore costs more to ship each bike...or so I've heard??? Its a cost thing.

Its funny how far the Japanese go to save a buck. To much grease weighs to much and therefore costs more to ship each bike...or so I've heard??? Its a cost thing.
Even funnier the stories people seem willing to buy into.

Its funny how far the Japanese go to save a buck.

So does ATK put more grease in the bearings? Its not a Japanese thing, its a manufacturing thing.

Come on! I thought dealer prep charges covered the greasing of bearings. Oh, wait a minute maybe that's the "Petroleum Jelly" charge the sale person gives you, LOL.

Come on! I thought dealer prep charges covered the greasing of bearings. Oh, wait a minute maybe that's the "Petroleum Jelly" charge the sale person gives you, LOL.

yea after they bend you over:p

I just purchased a NEW 07 Yz450, and I'm INTIMIDATED by all the initial maitenance I should/need to do before I can ride the bike.

What items should be done by a shop, and how much $money is reasonable?

I just purchased a NEW 07 Yz450, and I'm INTIMIDATED by all the initial maitenance I should/need to do before I can ride the bike.

If you've got a good manual, a free day to tinker, some patience, and any kind of skills with basic tools, there's really nothing you can't do by yourself.

It took me just a few minutes over 3 hours yesterday to service my swingarm, linkage & head bearings.

Even funnier the stories people seem willing to buy into.

You tell me why NONE of the manufacturers grease any of there stuff PROPER then?

You tell me why NONE of the manufacturers grease any of there stuff PROPER then?

Time & money........and not money for shipping.

as Race machines they expect that the owners will dissassemble and tune to individual riders needs.....lack of lube is just one more way that they skimp out, expecting you to do it right.

import tarrifs on grease.

it is not that difficult to do and as a owner it is good for you to learn how to maintain your own bike as much as you can/ Get your manual out and your tools/ good quality grease and bring some patience. Also a helper may be needed.

I see tuners charging 75 -125 for proper lube and set up of suspension...another very important set up that needs to be done after the initial suspension break in. Set the sag correctly and it will help you turn better.

Certainly wouldn't be to save weight. The crates vary in weight more than a tub of grease.

When I did my two '06's, I found they were lubed adequately, although I wasn't too impressed with the grease that was used. However, let me refer you to page 3-3 of your service manual, where it calls for the steering head to be re-lubed every 5th race, and the swing arm and linkage to be re-lubed after break-in, and every race thereafter.

However, let me refer you to page 3-3 of your service manual, where it calls for the steering head to be re-lubed every 5th race, and the swing arm and linkage to be re-lubed after break-in, and every race thereafter.

so if i don't race does that mean i don't have to grease it?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

so if i don't race does that mean i don't have to grease it?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would say most owners would fall into this category......and bearings suffer because of it.....