HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xr_guys

Weard Electrical Problem, XR650R Dual Sport Stator Issue

5 posts in this topic

May be you can give me some clue regarding to a problem that been bothering my XR650R, the bike is equipped with dual sport Baja Design kit. The problem seem to be power loading to the head light, I just can’t get enough light, very dim and the voltage are dropping to a dismal 3 volts DC when the head light is ON. I bought your stator thinking my stator was bad, and the problem persist. Also replaced the AC Reg and AC to DC converter, still the same. I disconnected everything and hooked up the head light bulb directly and the power went down to 3 volts DC again, by the way, it’s a 55W bulb. But if I use the AC junction right before the AC to DC converter, the lights seem to be holding, but still not as bright as I was expecting. Do I need a Battery or a big Capacitor on the DC side to sustain a 55W bulb? I though I could just parallel the two generator to support most of the power I need without using a battery or capacitor. My kids XR50 which I rewind their stator (no AC to DC Converter), only use four poles on the stator, but double the brightness compared to my XR650R setup. I’m totally puzzled on this problem. Do I have a grounding issue? Or would the two poles for the ignition can cause some related issue, but the bike run fine and this is the second stator that does same symptoms. I would really appreciate if you have some ideas to lead me.

About the only thing that I can think of is a problem with the magnets on the flywheel or something with the wiring on the bike.

You have the stator that has two 125w coils, right? It has 5 wires, two from one lighting coil and two from the other lighting coil and the CDI high voltage lead. If you bypass the bike wiring and connect a light right to a stator coil, does it light up correctly? It should blow the bulb if you rev the engine.

"I disconnected everything and hooked up the head light bulb directly and the power went down to 3 volts DC again" Dose this mean you hooked up a light directly to the leads from the stator where it would normaly go into the regulator? Having unregulated direct voltage right from the stator? Was this done at or around idle?

"Do I need a Battery or a big Capacitor on the DC side to sustain a 55W bulb?" You are using the battary that came with the D/S kit already right?

" I though I could just parallel the two generator to support most of the power I need without using a battery or capacitor." Parallel which 2? the stator you purchased has 1 or 2 lighting coils?

I never tested the voltage of the stock stator at idle but I know it's not ideal for a D/S bike. However befor I rewound my stator I could run the lights, signals and a rad cooling fan at idle with the battary installed of course. If however the battary was dead and I started it up it would power the lights but if I used the signals or the fan at idle the light would dim till I went for a ride and the battary charged up. Your bike should have enough power to light the lights at idle they may just be a little dim but any rpms at all should offer full brightness. Is your battary installed and is it any good?

Bosshog

I'm not clear on this. Did you replace the stator with an upgraded one? I have the Baja designs kit and the system wouldn't run crap on the headlight. I replaced the stator with a Ricky Stator. I followed the Baja Deisgns instructions and ran their stuff to the turn signals and brake light. Ran the headlight through the second stator circuit using the stock rectifier. Works fine except when the RPM's drop and the headlight is on all of the time since I didn't run it through the light switch.