HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yamaha4lyfe

valve cover breather tube sucking in dirt???

25 posts in this topic

pulled my valve cover and cams out a few days back. to re shim it. what do you know there is SAND IN MY FREAKING engine!@!@!! right in that hole where the breather tube attaches to. what the hell? i stuck my finger in there and pulled a crap load of dirt out. i don't understand?

I pulled mine off my '06 a few months ago and found the same thing. Not a crap load but more like a sprinkling. I rerouted the the hose into the airbox, which is pretty easy to do, but haven't pulled the cover yet to see if actually helps.

Same thing here. There is a thread here all about this and about rerouting into the airbox. I did it the other day and zip tied a foam filter onto the end also.

That stupid idea they had cost my insurance company $4000.00 to rebuild my motor. The only thing salvagable was the head and the gears. EVERYTHING else was replaced. I stalled in a small pond\mud hole on the trail. Slurppppppppppp.

after reading all the threads about this, I went to home depot and bought 10 feet of black half inch hose for 5.00 and a 1/2 inch t-fitting and a pcv filter from advance, should have also got a 90 degree fitting because hose liked to kink at top of engine, run original hose along frame (inside) put T in middle drill 1/2 inch hole and run hose in very bottom corner of airbox, and mount breather to subframe, tie wrap to bracket where carb vent hoses run through to keep away from chain, then through linkage with other hoses. I also put 2 small slices on end to keep dirt from plugging hose. all cost total was about 15.00. good luck, john p.s. everything needed is in plumbing section.

That stupid idea they had cost my insurance company $4000.00 to rebuild my motor. The only thing salvagable was the head and the gears. EVERYTHING else was replaced. I stalled in a small pond\mud hole on the trail. Slurppppppppppp.

no different...never start these under water...or even with any chance of the breather tube being in water.....or mud.

no different...never start these under water...or even with any chance of the breather tube being in water.....or mud.
...or high centered on a sand dune.

On day one I rerouted my hose and installed a K&N filter. It breaths in and out easily and guarentees no dirts sucks in. The filter is strapped with wire ti=es behind the frame in the photo. Easy to clean, and no dirt in the engine.

YZMotor.jpg

i just clamped on a little blue 3 inch mini filter that i bought at pep boys, and it works great. i also think by filtering this breather tube will extend your oil change intervals because your keeping more dirt out of the engine.:thumbsup:

My wr 450 goes to the air box and its never had shit in it.

Definatly re-route the thing as it will suck the crap in for sure...

i re routed it and i am still getting dirt into it... anyway i can get a filter for it? someone said they put a K&N air filter on it? whats the part number or, whats it called ill buy one from Lordco if they sell them

I ran mine straight to the air box and also put a K&N filter on it. I used a small crankcase breather filter for a Harley Davidson, it works great. When I first got the bike I stalled in a huge puddle, not knowing any better I re- started the bike and after a half miniute or so I was on my way, later that day I droped the oil plug and almost fell on the floor, The motor was filled to the top with milky oil.

I want to order that breather filter but does anyone know what size the breather tube is??? I am going to run a fitting on the end then stick the filter on the fitting so I need to know the tube size...thanks

... cost my insurance company $4000.00 to rebuild my motor.

How did you get your insurance company to pay for a mechanical issue? What company do you use?:thumbsup:

How did you get your insurance company to pay for a mechanical issue? What company do you use?:thumbsup:

I wanted theft and fire coverage and all they could offer me was basicly full coverage insurance. It costs me 14 buck a month through State Farm in Michigan. :thumbsup:

Also I didnt start my bike in the puddle, I stalled in the puddle. Piss poor design on Yamahas part. This is the only manufacturer that routes them this way.:thumbsup:

I got my filter from an auto parts store. I think it was an old school valve cover breather (what a coincidence).

On day one I rerouted my hose and installed a K&N filter. It breaths in and out easily and guarentees no dirts sucks in. The filter is strapped with wire ti=es behind the frame in the photo. Easy to clean, and no dirt in the engine.

YZMotor.jpg

I do the same thing on mine and it works great. For a filter I just went to an auto parts store and bought a filter designed to fit in the air cleaner housing for the crankcase breather of an old Ford I think. It is a plastic housing with the replaceable filter material stuffed in it. The breather tube slips right on the filter and I use a zipty to hold the tube on. It fits nicely into the recess of the frame and I just zipty it in place.