XR 650r IMS Fuel Tanks

I have the IMS 4.6 tank. I have had zero issues with mine. I can go about 150 miles per tank when I am mellow with the throttle. When I am on it then maybe 120 miles. Fit and finish are good no complaints. Also IMS has great customer service.

Good luck

thanks for the reply. I was hoping for better mileage though. I can understand 26mpg on a mellow trail but on forest roads/county roads, I would think 40mpg would be realistic. (I am still building it up and have not ridden it much) I would like to get 180 to 200 miles of range out of this bad boy without sacrificing it's incredible nimbleness and agility

?

thanks for the reply. I was hoping for better mileage though. I can understand 26mpg on a mellow trail but on forest roads/county roads, I would think 40mpg would be realistic. (I am still building it up and have not ridden it much) I would like to get 180 to 200 miles of range out of this bad boy without sacrificing it's incredible nimbleness and agility

?

I hear you about the gas milage. Have you looked at the large tank from Acerbis. (6 gallon I think) The only way I could get 180-200 miles with my IMS tank is to carry a gallon of gas. I have done that a few times in the desert as the gas stops were around the 175 mile mark. The XR650R is not known for great gas milage. It is a grin on your face, give it gas, rip across the desert, rear tire eating machine.

Good luck

i borrowed a friends 7 gal tank for a trip through oregon (tollgate to sumpter)plenty of fuel for a 200+ ride. i felt i could have done 300. fit was ok a little wide where it met the seat but you get use to it. fuel sets low in the fins so weight is proportioned ok, also have to run a fuel pump(like on a snowmobile or garden tractor) to get the fuel off the bottom. there is no way to shut off the fuel because the fuel pump tees in below the shut off valve. a little difficult to manouver around in tight single track. was nice to have on long rides but prefer the 4.6 in every day use.

I have a 4.6 ims and a buddy has the 6.6 they seem and look like totally different bikes, the 6.6 feels like a harley.

Have made 195 miles until dry with mix of road and light on the throttle trails

and the 6.6 he has made just under 300 miles

quality on my ims tank was not what i expected with open casting seams and the color and finish, but i did get a red one

IMG_0250.jpg

I've got an IMS 4.6. It fits well and I've not had any issues with it. I think they swell over time because I can fit damn near 5 full gallons in it from dry. I generally get a 175 miles pretty comfortably in most dual sporting situations. You wind up with like 2 or three reserves: #1 regular reserve, #2 tip the bike on its side for another reserve, and then #3 tip the bike WAY over on its side to almost get the last bit of gas out of the far side of the tank.

Its bigger than stock but not crazy big. It's a tad wider through the legs but I've found the biggest factor with it is just the extra ~15 pounds of weight (when full) way up high like that.

These are the only pics I've got handy that kinda show the tank.

p10100031ly.th.jpgp8040066vf3.th.jpg4906roadtrip014thumb26ep.th.jpg

I have a 4.6 ims and a buddy has the 6.6 they seem and look like totally different bikes, the 6.6 feels like a harley.

Have made 195 miles until dry with mix of road and light on the throttle trails

and the 6.6 he has made just under 300 miles

quality on my ims tank was not what i expected with open casting seams and the color and finish, but i did get a red one

IMG_0250.jpg

i see your bikes are NV plated. where is this pic? doesnt look like any NV spot i've seen!

I just got the IMS 7 gal version for my bike. Unfortunately, I just got it, so I can'tgive you any feedback about "how it is" to ride with it. But from the preliminary fitting, my impression is that - yes it's a tad wider @ the seat than the stk tank, but not obscenely so. It does flare out, so perhaps it's going to seem alot wider in the knee area when I actually ride it. I've had alot of other "skinny/fat" desert tanks on other bikes "back in the day", and any extra width soon became a non-issue. If you simply leave the tank on the bike, within a ride or two you quickly adapt and it simply becomes how your bike is - no big deal IMO. I think where it becomes an issue, is when you start swapping back-n-forth with the stk tank or one of the smaller capacity desert tanks & the supertanker for different occasions - then you're never used to the big tank & how the size/shape might affect your riding style. I think that leads to the comments about "ohhh this tanks so big, it makes my bike feel weird". Just leave it on there all the time & it solves that whole issue. - Just my experiance & opinion about dealing with a big tank.

The extra weight from the extra capacity is only an issue when you fill the thing to capacity - Kinda funny, but alot of people forget the fact that you don't have to fill it to the brim! My plan - if I'm going riding with some freinds that all have 4-4.5 gal tanks, well, I know they're going to have to stop for gas, so why would I want to carry more than say 5 gal myself? As for comperable handling - In theory at least, my bike should handle better than a bike with a smaller tank, since I'll only be carrying the simular fuel load, but carrying it lower on the bike = a lower CG. That's my plan/theory anyway, check back for how that works IRL. I really have no intention of putting 7 gallons into it every time I get gas, but I like the option of being able to if the need arises - like you, & most everyone else, I found the stock range leaving alot to be desired.

So anyway - about the tank. It seems to be as well made as any other IMS product. From the preliminary fit, I didn't notice any lopsided, missfitting or malformed issues - seems as though it'll simply "bolt right on" as you'd expect. It does use a small vaccum pump that draws vac. from the little plug on the intake. How I interpret the instructions, it draws the fuel from both wings (L & R), and moves it the 3rd fitting which is right next to the petcock. The petcock still works & has total control of fuel flow from the tank - no shut off issues, & the "reserve" function still works. Those fittings & the pump seem to be the 1 issue people have with the IMS tank vs the Acerbis. The Acerbis is gravity feed - very simple. It follows the "parts left out cost nothing & never break" philosophy. The IMS is a bit more complex with the pump & th transfer fittings. That's the trade off for being able to carry a little more fuel in a slimmer/lower fashion than the Acerbis tank. The nylon fittings might be vunerable in a nasty crash, & there is that vac. pump too. The vac. pumps have proven themselves to be dead-nut reliable on everything they're used on, so I don't see that as an issue. The fittings... well, I guess I could see one of them being snapped in a freaky accident of some sort. I don't really "see" that happening, but where they are on the lower wings, I'd say it is possible. I plan to throw a 1/8" NPT plug & a line cap in my bag & IF it ever happens I'll be prepared.

Ultimately I went with the IMS over the Acerbis becuase of my perception of having a slightly slimmer & lower CG, the fact that I could get the IMS in "Nat" (clear) color, while the Acerbis comes in any color you want as long as it's red & the vac pump/fitting issue doesn't scare me a bit. I went with the mongo-sized 7.0 gal. tank over the 4.2/4.5's because I wanted the extra capacity if I needed it, knowing full well, that simply because I have it, doesn't mean I have to use it (leading to weight & perhaps handling issues vs a 4.? tank).

I could post a pic for you with the tank sitting on my bike, but I'm not sure it'd really help since my bike's blown apart at the moment. If you want, let me know & I'll snap one tonight.

FYI - if you choose to go 7, race proven products is selling them for roughly $200, which is a smoking hot deal if you've priced the mongo 7.0 anyplace else.

I just got the IMS 7 gal version for my bike. Unfortunately, I just got it, so I can'tgive you any feedback about "how it is" to ride with it. But from the preliminary fitting, my impression is that - yes it's a tad wider @ the seat than the stk tank, but not obscenely so. It does flare out, so perhaps it's going to seem alot wider in the knee area when I actually ride it. I've had alot of other "skinny/fat" desert tanks on other bikes "back in the day", and any extra width soon became a non-issue. If you simply leave the tank on the bike, within a ride or two you quickly adapt and it simply becomes how your bike is - no big deal IMO. I think where it becomes an issue, is when you start swapping back-n-forth with the stk tank or one of the smaller capacity desert tanks & the supertanker for different occasions - then you're never used to the big tank & how the size/shape might affect your riding style. I think that leads to the comments about "ohhh this tanks so big, it makes my bike feel weird". Just leave it on there all the time & it solves that whole issue. - Just my experiance & opinion about dealing with a big tank.

The extra weight from the extra capacity is only an issue when you fill the thing to capacity - Kinda funny, but alot of people forget the fact that you don't have to fill it to the brim! My plan - if I'm going riding with some freinds that all have 4-4.5 gal tanks, well, I know they're going to have to stop for gas, so why would I want to carry more than say 5 gal myself? As for comperable handling - In theory at least, my bike should handle better than a bike with a smaller tank, since I'll only be carrying the simular fuel load, but carrying it lower on the bike = a lower CG. That's my plan/theory anyway, check back for how that works IRL. I really have no intention of putting 7 gallons into it every time I get gas, but I like the option of being able to if the need arises - like you, & most everyone else, I found the stock range leaving alot to be desired.

So anyway - about the tank. It seems to be as well made as any other IMS product. From the preliminary fit, I didn't notice any lopsided, missfitting or malformed issues - seems as though it'll simply "bolt right on" as you'd expect. It does use a small vaccum pump that draws vac. from the little plug on the intake. How I interpret the instructions, it draws the fuel from both wings (L & R), and moves it the 3rd fitting which is right next to the petcock. The petcock still works & has total control of fuel flow from the tank - no shut off issues, & the "reserve" function still works. Those fittings & the pump seem to be the 1 issue people have with the IMS tank vs the Acerbis. The Acerbis is gravity feed - very simple. It follows the "parts left out cost nothing & never break" philosophy. The IMS is a bit more complex with the pump & th transfer fittings. That's the trade off for being able to carry a little more fuel in a slimmer/lower fashion than the Acerbis tank. The nylon fittings might be vunerable in a nasty crash, & there is that vac. pump too. The vac. pumps have proven themselves to be dead-nut reliable on everything they're used on, so I don't see that as an issue. The fittings... well, I guess I could see one of them being snapped in a freaky accident of some sort. I don't really "see" that happening, but where they are on the lower wings, I'd say it is possible. I plan to throw a 1/8" NPT plug & a line cap in my bag & IF it ever happens I'll be prepared.

Ultimately I went with the IMS over the Acerbis becuase of my perception of having a slightly slimmer & lower CG, the fact that I could get the IMS in "Nat" (clear) color, while the Acerbis comes in any color you want as long as it's red & the vac pump/fitting issue doesn't scare me a bit. I went with the mongo-sized 7.0 gal. tank over the 4.2/4.5's because I wanted the extra capacity if I needed it, knowing full well, that simply because I have it, doesn't mean I have to use it (leading to weight & perhaps handling issues vs a 4.? tank).

I could post a pic for you with the tank sitting on my bike, but I'm not sure it'd really help since my bike's blown apart at the moment. If you want, let me know & I'll snap one tonight.

FYI - if you choose to go 7, race proven products is selling them for roughly $200, which is a smoking hot deal if you've priced the mongo 7.0 anyplace else.

please do post photos when you can. would really like to see it. thanks to all for the input.

If you're looking for a bigger tank than the 4.6, I'd suggest the Acerbis 6.3 (?). I have an IMS 4.6 (for sale) and just bought an Acerbis tank for bigger rides. Fit and finish are top-notch. I'm just going to get a Clark 4.3 or IMS 3.2 gallon tank for the shorter rides.

send me a PM and let me know what you want for it $$.

and if it's red or natural. also, your PM box is full. I cannot send PM's to it.

thanks.

Sorry no pics but I have a 7.0 gal IMS on my XR. I really like it, but there are a couple things about it that really suck. You can not access the choke lever almost at all. You have to squat next to the bike and reach up and hunt for the lever. Lucky for me in Az choke use is minimal. I am working on building a handlebar mounted choke lever. You can no longer access the spark plug without taking the tank off. Taking the tank off is a hassle, there are two fuel lines that cross over that have to be removed to pull the tank. You will spill lots of gas. Riding the bike is not that bad, the weight can be felt, but its not terrible, but it does gets tiring when riding technical stuff for long. In my opinion having that much fuel outweighs the annoyances.

I have a IMS 4.6 and a 3.2 on two different bikes. My buddy has a Clarke 4.3 tank.

IMS 4.6 Clear Tank: |Fitment| - Need to trim a stiffener on the back of one of the radiator shrouds do clear contours of tank. Easy mod. Bolts to frame do not match up well. Takes some work to get them in. |Quality| - The clear tanks start to take on a brownish hue after a year or so. You can't scrub this out. |Comfort| - This tank is wider than stock. Your knees are spread further apart and it feels weird if you are used to MX bikes. Ok if you ride BMWs.

IMS 3.2 - Mine swelled to 3.8 gallons. Its very nice. This tank is more white than the clear 4.6. Not sure why. The width is great. Its about the same width as the stock tank. Good fitment to the bike and frame.

Clarke 4.3 (White) - About the same width as the stock tank. The oil dipstick is a little harder to reach, but no big deal. We had a small problem with the shoulder-screw that the seat attaches to. The tank was formed odd at this point. We added foam tape (like windsurf board tape pads, 1/8" thick) to the area that the front of the seat rests on. It fit great after that. You can scrub this thing white again with comet and a sponge.

If I was to do it again, i would buy the Clarke 4.3. Its a nicer looking tank and feels more comfortable while riding.

I would not want anything bigger than the 4.x gallon tanks. The bike gets really top-heavy with 4.5 gallons up there and the added width translates to reduced control for me.

I have a couple pictures in the "Show your pig" thread of all 3 bikes.