Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justin squiers

how to stop tank slapping down straights

14 posts in this topic

Don't let off on the gas. :thumbsup:

I don't own a YZ450 but raising or lowering the forks might help a little. A steering damper and/or different triple clamps might help as well.

You might try the Yamaha forums for more info.

1 person likes this

i have a 08 yz 450 how do i stop the bars going flat out side to side down the straights?
Start by being certain that the rear wheel is aligned correctly. Then be sure your suspension set up is right. If your fork compression is too harsh, it can lead to this.

How much do you weigh?

i have a 08 yz 450 how do i stop the bars going flat out side to side down the straights?

Good thing you're not on an RMZ :thumbsup:

YZ's have got to be the most stable bike out there, I am surprised you are even having problems. I ocassionally get some handlebar swapping on my 07, but it takes a NASTY, cross rutted straight to get my bike to do this. One tip to keep the swapping minimised, is to firmly grip the bike with your legs, and keep a light grip on the bars, and let it rip...

Wanna feel some REAL violent handlebar swapping? Drive a bone stock KX500 at anything over 50 mph!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good thing you're not on an RMZ :thumbsup:

YZ's have got to be the most stable bike out there, I am surprised you are even having problems. I ocassionally get some handlebar swapping on my 07, but it takes a NASTY, cross rutted straight to get my bike to do this. One tip to keep the swapping minimised, is to firmly grip the bike with your legs, and keep a light grip on the bars, and let it rip...

Wanna feel some REAL violent handlebar swapping? Drive a bone stock KX500 at anything over 50 mph!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i havethe 07 and i was 5th at mid throttle the other day and my bars were going psycho...i slowed down for fear of eating it lol...since i heard horror stories about how my friend broke his femur going 5th gear pinned on his crf :worthy:

I hardly ever have this issue on my Yzf but just pin it, or get the front tire off the ground just a little and its all gone.

i weigh 80 kgs do you mean slow doen the rebound on the front will this help? i dont really know a hell of a lot about suspension

The first thing you need to do is set the rear sag and put your clickers to stock. If your bike is balanced and works good in other places then it probably has more to do with the speed and terrain. Then a steering damper would probably be the ticket. Read your manual there is alot of good info in there to get you started on set up.

i had tank slap on my 06 talk to abuddy of my said make sure you keep your elbows up stay in the attack position when letting off . tryed it and he was right