GYT heavy flywheel, WOW!

Just put the 9oz GYT flywheel on my 06 450 and just wanted to highly recommend it. It did not rob anything but added much. Made the bike so much more fun to ride.

Does it kill revs and make the bike too tame?

Does it kill revs and make the bike too tame?

nope...

so in your opinion...

how did it help your bike?

like what changes do YOU notice?

i am considering getting a larger flywheel and just wondering your personal opinion on the change

so in your opinion...

how did it help your bike?

like what changes do YOU notice?

i am considering getting a larger flywheel and just wondering your personal opinion on the change

I had a 04 yz450 and added the Zipty 10oz, it gives the bike better torque and reduces stalling. I had a 12oz on my 01 426. They increase rotational mass at the crank. Steahly off road sells complete flywheels, they are much easier to swap out.

I love my 9oz, it made my bike much more fun to ride. It seems to me it adds more motor control, more wheel spin control, and really helps stalling. IMO.

I just put a medium Dr. D on my '04 and like it a lot better now. It seems to "keep the traction" longer into a corner, hooks up faster coming out, and reduces wheelspin. Wheelies are much more controllable too (and since wheelspin is reduced, it's wheeling a little bit more out of corners). Stalling is much reduced.

NO drawbacks that I can see so far.

I think it's the biggest bang for your bucks that you could make. Yes wheelies are easier and more controlable and the bike seems to be more tractable. I didn't notice any loss of power whatsoever. Just better power everywhere and no stalling.

what weight would you guys suggest for a yz426 for single and double track, no racing?

the 6 oz for the track from gytr

the 9 oz is more for tight stuff- off road.

I'm running the 9 oz on my 06 woods rocket YZ 450F and I'm happy with it. Less stalling with no noticeable undesirable effects. A guy I was riding with who has an 06 CRF 450R said he thought my bike felt smoother off the bottom than his, but I couldn't tell a difference from the stock flywheel. I'm also running a Dr. D exhaust, and this thing is a rocket!

what weight would you guys suggest for a yz426 for single and double track, no racing?

I like the GYTR 9oz.

I like the GYTR 9oz.
There is no such item for the 426 he's asking about, unfortunately. Aftermarket companies like Zip-Ty and Steahly offer them for the 426 in weights up to 14 oz, I believe. These would all be bolt-on weights, which I don't prefer, but it's almost all that's available for the older bikes.
Just put the 9oz GYT flywheel on my 06 450 and just wanted to highly recommend it. It did not rob anything but added much. Made the bike so much more fun to ride.

I put mine on this spring and have been very happy with it.

Grey - I can't remember, but does a heavier flywheel reduce engine braking?

Grey - I can't remember, but does a heavier flywheel reduce engine braking?

Theoretically, yes, but not to a particularly noticeable extent. The flywheels would have to be a lot heavier to make much difference in that regard. You'd get more reduction in engine braking from raising your idle, but why anyone would want to is beyond me.

rocky mountain has 8,10, and 12 ounce complete flywheels for the yz426 from stealthy for $180. Think i'll ask for the 10 ounce for Christmas.

May want to check with your dealer. Yamaha only asks a little over a hundred dollars for a complete flywheel for my 06. It was a very good addition for my bike.