Oil Cooler

I've been using my 07 WR450 all summer with frequent 100*+ temps, I just don't see the need for this at all. This last saturday I was riding for a little while on a paved road and I was able to put my hand on one of the radiators to feel the temperature, I thought it would be really hot but it wasn't, it was only warm. Even when I was doing some really tight slow stuff the bike never even boiled over to the overflow tank. It may be usable for people who ride in 120* weather around the desert, but my guess is most people wouldn't need that. After installing the Unabiker rad guards I've noticed that my radiators cool off better, the stock plastic covers block more air than the unabiker guards.

I've been using my 07 WR450 all summer with frequent 100*+ temps, I just don't see the need for this at all. This last saturday I was riding for a little while on a paved road and I was able to put my hand on one of the radiators to feel the temperature, I thought it would be really hot but it wasn't, it was only warm. Even when I was doing some really tight slow stuff the bike never even boiled over to the overflow tank. It may be usable for people who ride in 120* weather around the desert, but my guess is most people wouldn't need that. After installing the Unabiker rad guards I've noticed that my radiators cool off better, the stock plastic covers block more air than the unabiker guards.

i would agree with you 100% however im talking about for dual sportings and having the extra oil

i would agree with you 100% however im talking about for dual sportings and having the extra oil

Interesting you mention dual sporting, I've actually read here before about a guy that needed to cover part of his radiators to bring his engine temperature up a little bit, the extra wind was cooling them too much.

Interesting you mention dual sporting, I've actually read here before about a guy that needed to cover part of his radiators to bring his engine temperature up a little bit, the extra wind was cooling them too much.

hmm thats a new one for me....

think about it, it really makes sense. If you're going down a paved road faster than you would on a tight trail, there will be MUCH more air passing by your radiators. So with the extra airflow you end up with cooler radiators and therefore a cooler engine/oil temperature.

think about it, it really makes sense. If you're going down a paved road faster than you would on a tight trail, there will be MUCH more air passing by your radiators. So with the extra airflow you end up with cooler radiators and therefore a cooler engine/oil temperature.

yeah to a point...however im really after more oil slower break down (still change every 300 miles

Ok, that makes more sense. It's a good idea if you're trying to increase oil capacity, it's the cooling part that would be sort of unnecessary.

hmm thats a new one for me....

I was surprized myself

I have an Acewell speedo that has a temp gauge on mine. On the road its no uncommon to not be able to get the coolant over 130 degrees (as long as you are moving) In the woods the temp can go from 158 to 220 or higher.I cover 1 radiator if I am going to just a road ride.Maybe my temp gauge is wrong.I would still like a oil cooler for the added oil capacity. And my bike isnt heavy enough anyway.

I have an oil temp guage on my WR400 that reads the oil temp in the frame tank (it replaces the dipstick) and it rarely gets above 180 and I've never seen it above 210 this is in the Calif. desert. This is with a Rekluse clutch which, I'm sure creats higher oil temps due to more slippage. The 400 holds more oil than the 450s but I still don't think high oil temps are a problem. I do boil coolant on rare occasions in really technical, low speed riding, but never to the point of overflowing the catch bottle.

One thing that you must try to maintain is an oil temp between 180-210. I know it sounds high but that is where the oil is the most efficient at "self cleaning". Temps below that do not allow the oil to purge the fuel and hydrocarbons the foul the oil. Believe it or not, engines run with low oil temps require more frequent oil changes. I'm all for more capacity, but "all good things in moderation".