08 YZ450f pipe options

I have somewhat of a dilemma.

I bought the bike new a couple weeks ago to ride as my desert/mountain trails weapon and I absolutely love it.

But my main problem is that I need a USFS approved spark arrestor on it and since the bike came with the little shorty exhaust silencer which is all mechanical baffling versus being a strait through like most everything else so I cant get a promoto billet spark arrestor endcap. I called promoto and they told me that they are something like 4 months or so out from having these endcaps in production.

I am not willing to wait that long and I want to ride (without getting a large ticket) now so it looks like I am forced to buy an aftermarket system to replace the stocker.

My main question is since the 08 has different cams and port layout are the pipe manufacturers going to sell 08 specific pipes or are they just running any 06-07 pipe?

Since I am going to be spending a sizable chunk of money on the pipe I want to make sure that it is going to be a good performer.

So, if any of you have aftermarket pipes on your 08s could you please tell me what kind of pipe you have as well as what year it is for and how you like it compared to the stock system?

Thanks everybody, any opinions are appreciated!!!

BTW I am really looking at the full DrD systems since I know Drd pipes always seem to run great on Yamahas.

Yes, all 06-07 will work. I just hung up the phone with Dubach and he doesnt like the power of 08. He is testing a new head pipe as we speak. There is alot of testing being done on 08 450 now. There should be a new headpipe out soon for the 08 to help power. ?

Are you saying that he wasnt happy with the performance of his 06-07 pipes on the 08 or he doesnt like the performance of the stocker?

Thanks for the help, keep the opinions coming!!!

Although the 06/07 pipes will fit the 08 they don't seem to work as well with the 08. White brothers is coming out with a new pipe for the 08 and it sounds like dubach is testing some different pipe bends etc that will work better on the 08. I'd wait on the pipe until the new pipes come out for the 08

I will wait until I find out for sure. I was also looking into the WB pipes but they dont seem to have many options for a full system with a spark arrestor.

I have never had any experience with WB pipes but I have had some with DrD pipes and so far they have been awesome with great customer service.

I have a 08 450, Installed a Leo Vince x-3 system. With the quiet insert and spark arrester in its right at 96 db's and put out 53.6 Hp on the dyno a the rear wheel with race gas and jetting. They make the Best pipes PERIOD!!! this is my third system I have had and I havent had one issue with fit or quality. I cant say the same for some others i have had!(fmf, pro circit, wb) JMO:thumbsup:

I have a 08 450, ... put out 53.6 Hp on the dyno a the rear wheel with race gas and jetting.
ummm might be the dyno is off I dont see a 5 hp gain from a pipe.
I'd agree, EXCEPT for the race gas and jetting part. Then, on an '08, with the pipe they come with, it's more believable, depending on which fuel he's using. 53.6 seems a little high, though, and I suspect a "variation" in the dyno is at the root of it.

On earlier models that had a good exhaust from the factory, the most I've seen gained in a credible test was 2 hp for a pipe vs. a tuned stocker, and that pipe made the power curve noticeably narrower to accomplish that. I'm with you on this one.

When i get back in town i will get the dyno sheets up fo you to see. Its not the dyno being off im sure of that, We use it 8-10 times a week and is within .5-1. hp of several other dynos in my area. The race gas i use is Pro-Loc 110. Its oxeginated and good stuff. I also got around 52 hp with tt101.The leo's I have used have put out atleast 3.5 hp gain over stock, Being they are a European company they are way ahead of us as far a hp vs sound!

I have also seen that a few people are running stock 06 silencers on the stock 08 headpipe and are claiming that it really helped the power out.

This has caught my intrest because I could probably get one used for cheap and I can get the promoto billet end cap for it and be up and running for less than half of what a new pipe would cost me.

I am curious if anybody has tried the 06 silencer on the 08 motor with both the stock 08 headpipe and the 06 headpipe and could tell me what they thought of both set ups?

Thanks for the help!!!?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 07 header on the 08? Its tapered and a smaller diameter than the 08. As I understand it, a larger diameter produces more mid-top - smaller diameter produces more bottom end?

I put my Yoshimura head pipe and exhaust from my 07 on my 08. I would even use the stock one over the 08 stuff. It makes a big difference.