Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeSactown

Another Newbie Wheel Question <sigh>

12 posts in this topic

I bent the front rim on my 07 yz450f a while back and have been trying to piece together another one using the stock hub. A friend gave me a stock rim off of an older yamaha that is the same size but different brand (DID, 1.60 x 21) and I ordered excel spokes for my year bike (they were cheaper than oem ) but when they arrived i found that the nipples wouldn't fit in the holes on the DID rim. Is this just a case of brand clashing, or is there a sizing aspect that I'm missing? Maybe an issue with using aftermarket spokes/nipples? Not sure if it's relevant, but the bike came with excel rims stock.

:thumbsup: Please set me straight TT... I'm dying to get back offroad :thumbsup:

Excel rims need Excel spokes, and vice versa. It has nothing to do with rim size, really, just brands. The DID rims are slightly lighter, but quite a bit weaker than the Excels. IMO, you should keep the spokes and get a new Excel to match.

Excel rims need Excel spokes, and vice versa. It has nothing to do with rim size, really, just brands. The DID rims are slightly lighter, but quite a bit weaker than the Excels. IMO, you should keep the spokes and get a new Excel to match.

ditto!

but the stock yzf spokes are spline drive. correct? so you can lace another excel up with stock spokes?

Stock YZF spokes are NOT spline drive.

Stock YZF spokes are NOT spline drive.

im sorry. i knew that. what i ment to say was that the regular excel spokes are spline drive. but will they fit into stock yzf excel wheels.

i'll try to be more clear in the future

I just bought a pair of Excel taskagos (sp?) wheels alone in black and relaced them from my stock spokes and hubs. I have an 06 YZ450F so it came stock with the same Excel wheels and everything laced up great using my OEM parts.