mods question 07 xr650l

i have a question about carb mods. i ride a xr650l 07 that i have de-smogged and added a fmf q2 exhaust. i am about to install a dynojet stage 1 kit and was wondering if i can do daves carb mods along with de-snorkeling in addition to the kit. i have read the tutorials and being new to dirt bikes some things i don't have a grasp on. thanks for any advice, i appriciate it.

By doing Dave's mod I would guess that in this case you are only referring to drilling the slide? No need to shim the needle since the Dyno kit includes a richer needle. Ditto for the jets. The Dyno kit has a weaker spring that does part of the same job as drilling the slide. Both mods allow the slide to move sooner than it otherwise would. Doing both might be too much of a good thing.

Basically Dave's mods do a lot of what the DynoJet kit does, just for less cash.

I also installed the DJ kit with my FMF Power Core 4, and was not happy with the performance. I had an off idle hesitation that drove me crazy. I know they say you don't need to use a bigger pilot jet with the DJ kit because of the needle and that the spring is to replace the drilling of the slide. Well, I ended up putting a 55 pilot jet in and drilled the slide and it made all the difference. It has pretty good throttle response now. Try doing a search on this and you will come up with a lot of info concerning this issue.

thanks guys. i installed the jet kit last week. i saw an overall power and throttle response improvement. i'm 5'11 and 245lbs. i've done a supermoto conversion on my xrl and just a little more power and i'll be happy. any suggestions? thanks again

07 xrl 650 sm, fmf q2, dj kit, de-smogged, air-box opened, kn filter

+1 on the fcr. love mine. takes a few tries to get it jetted right, but you can control all throttle settings with the correct jetting. from what i understand, the eddie cant be perfect from idle to wot. dont know from experience, but this is what ive read on them. the mikuni is good too, but has a 1/3 throttle hesitation that cant be tuned out.

thank you for your suggestions. in the near future i will try a new carb. this weekend i'm going to change the gearing by going up a few teeth in the rear. i also have to say riding a xrl motard is the most fun i've ever had. i'll let you all know how the gear change feels. thanks

All that was in my dynojet kit was two main jets, a new needle and a spring for the slide. I think you need to use their needle with their jets. The spring will only help the slide move faster, I drilled mine while I had it apart. I can't seem find a pilot jet locally so when I order my skid plate from the Thumper Talk store I will buy one from them.

Hi guys, I am doing the same thing as Widow1. De smog, FMF Q2, Uni air cleaner, and the air box mods. Do You need to use the whole Dynojet kit or can you just replace the main and pilot jet. Thanks for your help.

use everything. i would highly recomend drilling the slide too. i did with mine(pre fcr!)and it cure the slight hesitation after the djet kit was installed. you will notice the djet needle is shaped differently than the stocker. use the whole kit!

Martinfan30, Did you also replace the pilot jet. I heard the dj kit does not come with a new pilot jet. If so, what size. Thanks

yes i did. i ran a 55 pilot when i still used the cv carb., ran great. now i have a keihin fcr 41 pumper and wouldnt go back. funny thing is that the jetting i ran in my stocker 160/55 is the same as i run in my fcr. although now i have a uni pod filter due to my battery relocation to the stock airbox. a worthwhile mod to save weight if you dont use the stock carb. they dont like the pod filter (as far as tuning) with the cv carb.