Hot Cams for 06 450f

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with the hot cams camshafts on there 06 450? Just came across a set but would like to hear from somebody that has used them. Anybody?????? Thanx!

Bump anyone?

I'd be interested also. I've used them on two other bikes and liked the over-rev.

yea i would like to no too and what they do for the motor.

I have heard that the mid to upper part of the powerband is enhanced. I have a set but really can't complain about the stock setup so that is why I'm curious? Are the gains worth doing the swap? Not that swapping out the cams to see for myself is a big deal, I'd just like to hear from somebody who's actually tried them. Another part of me wonders about the reliability of the engine with the hot cams. I have seen first hand and heard horror stories about them in CRF's.

Another part of me wonders about the reliability of the engine with the hot cams. I have seen first hand and heard horror stories about them in CRF's.
With respect to reliability in YZF's:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5286269#post5286269

I've heard little negative feedback on HC products here. What have you heard about the CRF?

With respect to reliability in YZF's:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5286269#post5286269

I've heard little negative feedback on HC products here. What have you heard about the CRF?

I have seen trashed motors in as little as 30 hours. Granted the two motors I have seen are ridden by an AMA pro, but his stock crf 450 practice bikes both have 85 hours on them with no problems. I could go on and on about the CRF valves and there problems but you already know about that. I see one or two bikes a week at the shop I work for with valve problems. That is why the Honda race team uses the stainless steel intake valves off the TRX 450 Quad in there race bikes instead of the Titanium. On the other hand, I have checked the valves on a few 98 Yz 400's with 150-200 hours and they are still in spec. Last week I checked a 03 WR 450 that had 500 hours. In that time its had 2 pistons and a set of valves, still on the stock crank. The only choice for me from what I've witnessed with the 4 strokes is Yamaha or Kawasaki. Bulletproof valvetrains. Excellent reliability. Only have seen problems with a couple KX 450 f's with over 120 hours with the wrist pin. One cracked in half the other was well on its way. Sorry for the ramblings Gray, I could go on and on. Back to the original question, With both CrF's being the same except for the cams, You got 30 hours compared to 85. ?????????????????? What do you think?

I did some back to back testing on the dyno with the hot cams in a 450 2 years ago and the stock cams are 2-3 hp better in the 04. the stock cams are the same in the later models. The issue is the stock head will not flow more air then the stock cams will supply. If you are able or know someone who has the skills, changing the stock lobe center from 107 to 110 will help the over rev quite a bit , if for some reason you need more low end going to 104 will do that. the setting stock on the exhaust is pretty good. in order to take advantage of more cam in the Y450 a GOOD port job and more compression are needed. The stock parts are so good and reliable even at road race RPM,s changing them for no good reason is a bad deal. To be fair I put a hot cam in a big KTM and it worked great, no problems.

That's more or less what Ron Hamp has been saying; the head's the limiting factor. He also said he finds the '06 head is capable of far more air flow than the older models, though.

I did some back to back testing on the dyno with the hot cams in a 450 2 years ago and the stock cams are 2-3 hp better in the 04. the stock cams are the same in the later models. The issue is the stock head will not flow more air then the stock cams will supply. If you are able or know someone who has the skills, changing the stock lobe center from 107 to 110 will help the over rev quite a bit , if for some reason you need more low end going to 104 will do that. the setting stock on the exhaust is pretty good. in order to take advantage of more cam in the Y450 a GOOD port job and more compression are needed. The stock parts are so good and reliable even at road race RPM,s changing them for no good reason is a bad deal. To be fair I put a hot cam in a big KTM and it worked great, no problems.

Great information! Thank you for your time.