Cold starting procedure for an Edelbrock Pumper on an '06 650L?

I just installed an Edelbrock Pumper on my bike and am VERY pleased with it's performance. It's much smoother and has a quicker throttle response than the stock carb. The only problem I'm having is with cold starting. I live in Northern Canada and this time of year the morning temperature here can get down around freezing (32 F or 0 C), and the afternoon temperatures aren't much better, ranging from 45 F (8 C) to 55 (13 C). When I try to start my bike in the morning I crack the throttle once, then hit the start switch, it'll then catch but stall, I repeat this procedure for about 5 to 10 minutes, it will then catch and stay running enough for me to give it some gas without it stalling out. After another few minutes It'll be idling fine and I'll be able to drive it without it stalling. Once warmed up it runs excellent throughout the whole throttle range. The exhaust is clear (no black, blue or grey smoke).

I'm running a Pro Circuit 490 slip on and a K & N air filter. I have a Big Gun Evo-X that I'll be installing this weekend.

Any suggestions on a better starting procedure or on changing the needle and or setup would be appreciated.

Thanks! ?

Have you tried turning the Idle screw up a bit when first starting it?? When it gets cooler out mine requires I do this, then back it off once its warmed up. I usually give mine two squirts, but the starting drill has varied on every bike I've owned even if it was the same model. So just try small changes in your start up drill until you you find the most effective one. And I love my edelbrock too..

Old dog, you have to crank in some turns on the idle screw. A rule of thumb I use is 1 half-turn in for every 10 degrees F below 80.

What you describe as start-then-die is exactly what I get on my Edlebrock-equipped 650R. If its much below 70 F I have to crank in some idle or it just dies right after it starts.

You still need to twist the throttle at least twice to prime the cylinder. If its below say 60 F I'll give an extra twist or two.

Bottom line though is to adjust the idle. Once your engine starts warming up you'll hear the rpm's start to rise and you can start backing off the idle.

I love my Edlebrock!!

*Update*

I installed the Big Gun Evo-X exhaust and tried starting the bike today, for some odd reason I decided to turn the idle up two turns instead of one (it was really cold out), then cracking the throttle twice ..... mistake, I ended up flooding it. One good thing about flooding it though, it made me remove the spark plug (which I haven't done since purchasing the bike). The plug was so loose that I could turn it out with my fingers (I'm thinking this is probably not good). I then installed a new Iridium plug I've had laying around for a while (I made sure I snugged it down good when installing it). After that I had enough for a Sunday afternoon and decided to wait until tomorrow (Monday) to give it another shot.

I think I'll try turning the idle screw in one twist, cracking the throttle twice and crossing my fingers. ?

Cracking the throttle twice should not flood an Edlebrock, particularly if its a little cool outside. What symptoms did you have that made you think you flooded it?

Regarding flooding, cranking in extra idle-speed on an Edlebrock will never cause the bike to flood, it'll just make the engine run at a higher rpm when it starts.

After the first attempt to start (it caught on the first attempt then died). I cracked the throttle once more, then nothing, nadda, zilch, zero, zip, nothing ... it just kept on turning over, not a "catch" to be found and I could smell gas. Then when I removed the plug (with my fingers), it was wet.

Btw, I didn't just fall off the Turnip truck, I've been around bikes long enough (33+ years) to know a flooded bike when I see/smell one. ?

After the first attempt to start (it caught on the first attempt then died). I cracked the throttle once more, then nothing, nadda, zilch, zero, zip, nothing ... it just kept on turning over, not a "catch" to be found and I could smell gas. Then when I removed the plug (with my fingers), it was wet.

Btw, I didn't just fall off the Turnip truck, I've been around bikes long enough (33+ years) to know a flooded bike when I see/smell one. ?

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply lack of experience ?

Regarding mixture, my R has a Pro Circuit T4, side-panel vents, and a UniFilter. My Edlebrock is set up with the #19 needle and is 18 clicks out on the Metering Adjustment Tool (MAT). I'm guessing you should be running a #19 also, based on your bike's setup.

My suggestion would be to check your MAT, as this controls the low-to-mid-rpm fuel mixture. Also, from my experience, making sure I dial-in some extra turns on the Idle knob, before I try to start, helps prevent the "start-then-die" scenario.

I hope this helps.

Okay, now I'm on the right page, here, and the right bike.

I would definitely check the number of turns out on your MAT. I stated earlier that I was running a #19 needle and 18 turns out on the MAT, but that's for a 650R.

Assuming you ordered your Edlebrock specifically for the 650L, they are generally dialed in fairly close to your bike's state of tune, sometime they aren't. I wish I could help you with info on what needle and MAT settings would be normal for a 650L's Edlebrock, but somebody else will have to provide that info.

Bottom line, for an e-start L, your starting procedure you stated above should NOT be causing your bike to flood, so I suspect the needle size and/or MAT setting is off. I'd do a search on 650L edlebrock setup and you should find some data.

Thanks again for all the help guys, I really do I appreciate all the suggestions.?

I guess I'm just a little frustrated. Once started, the bike runs like a charm, nice crisp throttle response from idle to wide open. I'm pretty sure it's not a needle issue. I got the carb new from Barnum's Pro and I'm pretty sure they set them up for the setup I'm running (aftermarket exhaust, high performance filter, non-modified engine, 0 to 1500 ft elevation).

If we get another nice day here before it snows, I'll give it another try. The next time I think I'll try cracking the throttle twice and turning up the idle screw by 1/4 turns until stays running. I think my mistake last time was turning the throttle screw up two full turns right off the bat, cracking the throttle twice and then cracking the throttle again after it stalled. I've also installed a new iridium plug since last attempt. I've got an i-Kat I want to install, but I want to get it running again before complicating matters.