Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yz400Flyer

Chain Problems, link removal?

5 posts in this topic

Howdy,

So my chain is due for a change but the new one is in the mail for a couple of days. My current chain has a bunch of slack, even with the axle blocks moved way back. I have room to remove one link to make it tighter, turning it from a 114 to a 113. Will that hurt anything (sprockets mainly) if I do that for one or two rides (going to the track tomorrow). I am tired of having the chain flop around and hitting the frame once in a while, plus I don't want to kill my sprockets which are still in good shape.

So, one link out is ok?

Arno

Is it recommended to get new sprockets with a new chain? cause I know they say to get a new chain when you get new sprockets...

go ahead 113 links makes no difference.

it is a good idea to change your sprockets with the chain. if the sprockets show some wear then do it.

i'm running 113 links on my 450

Howdy,

So my chain is due for a change but the new one is in the mail for a couple of days. My current chain has a bunch of slack, even with the axle blocks moved way back. I have room to remove one link to make it tighter, turning it from a 114 to a 113. Will that hurt anything (sprockets mainly) if I do that for one or two rides (going to the track tomorrow). I am tired of having the chain flop around and hitting the frame once in a while, plus I don't want to kill my sprockets which are still in good shape.

So, one link out is ok?

Arno

Is it recommended to get new sprockets with a new chain? cause I know they say to get a new chain when you get new sprockets...

If your chain is stretched bad enough to take a link out, then you probably need sprockets too. I always replace them as a set.