Chain Question

im sure this has been covered, so...the final verdict...650L,all the mods without going in the motor,,do any of you guys use a clip style masterlink or am i just paranoid.want to get TATtrail prepared,and i value your experience. thanks.

On my 600, I've never had a problem. There are three kinds of chains. The old style non o-ring chain. The master link just slips on and is held by the clip. Never used this kind. All the ringed chains that I have used were press fit. It took a LOT of pressure to get the side plate on. They have a clip too, but I don't think it does much. One time when replacing this type of chain I found the clip missing. It may have been gone for a year. The third type is the true riveted type. This requires a special tool for installation, and should never come undone.

The Oring chains I've gotten, the instructions say to make sure the plate is tight against the back of the clip.

If you press the plate on a bit too far, I guess there could be a small gap behind the clip, making it easier for the clip to come free.

I press the plate on a little at a time, just enough to get the clip on, then after the clip is fully seated I use the chain breaker to pull the plate out against the clip to make sure its tight.

Dave