I'd would value your opinion (need help with purchase)

Iv'e owned over 40 bikes though the years and of lately rode a lot of 450s. sure they go like hell when ya ring um out but the 650 makes me grin when i roll the throttle and with a little suspension work I give them kids fits on the trail.

It really gets them when ya pull behind them and honk your horn (mine has a dual sport kit)

sure I could get a new 450 and go even faster through the nasties but i don't feel that need as much anymore.That just means when i do fall i'll just be going faster. besides hearing all the stories of 2-3 grand.on a blown 450motor kinda keeps things in reality. I've heard 650's going 10,000 miles before rebuilds.

10,000 miles if it's purely just raced but if it's a street leagl job not beat on you should be able to easily X's that by 3 or 4 ......... No - Yes ?

I've had the CR500, the XR650R and I still have my CRF450.

If I was you, I'd go for the X and the magic button.

The 500, 650 and 450R are tit bikes, top notch.

But the first time you go for a ride with buddies that have magic buttons on their bikes, you'll kick yourself in the ass for not getting a bike with one.

Trust me.

magic button? I can start my 650r with flip-flops while sitting on the seat. I'm 5-10 with flip flops or 5-11 with my boots on. It only sucks if you flood it.

Yes a starter is nice, but its not like you are breaking your foot trying to start he 650r. Its not a CR500 or WR450F with a short kick lever.

The 650R has a long kick lever. All you have to do is get it past TDC and push the lever to the bottom after you gave it aout 4-5 priming kicks with the compression release.

10,000 miles if it's purely just raced but if it's a street leagl job not beat on you should be able to easily X's that by 3 or 4 ......... No - Yes ?

I have a little over 10,000 miles on my 1 year old xr650r (just turned 1)...It's duals ported and never raced. I ride it pretty hard on the street and the dirt...but I also perform basic maintenance on it such as oil change/ valve adjustment every 1000-1500 miles. It burns no oil.

The bike still pulls hard as hell and will EASILY roll up onto one wheel in 2nd gear going 35 (15X45) and will roll up in 3rd ~45-50mph with a little body language...it is also good for 105mph with a little space. When I tear into this motor next year it will be to put in a HRC kit....other than that, i can see this thing going another 10,000-15,000+ miles without a rebuild.

I raced motocross for a few years in my younger days, and all the bikes then were two stoke. I've been looking at 450s and larger from various manufacturers. I even found Service Honda, and their "new" CR500.

I like two strokes for simplicity, and I'm familiar with them. I'll probably do mostly desert/trail/mountain trail riding. I posed this question in the 450 forum, and most said the 450 is better (between the 450 and the 500).

However, while looking at a CRF450X a few days ago, I saw the 650 model nearby. I'd never thought about owning one, but it looked to be a bit more durable than the 450 (motor wise). The salesman said, "You don't want that, it's a pig." I noticed on this forum that they're referred to as pigs as well.

So, it weighs more, but is it fun to ride in the desert? Does the motor hold up better than the high-reving 450s? Is it that much more of a burden to ride than the lighter and narrower bikes? Does the 650 hold up better under larger riders (I'm 6'2", and 220lbs without riding equipment added).

I've also found a site that mentioned a new 500 or 600 XR in the future. So, bottom line, I'm looking for a little advice. For recreational riding for a guy my size, how does the 650 stack up? I'm sure there are many other factors I'm not aware of enough to even consider or ask about...so...thanks for your responses.

I have never ridden a newer 450 (soon though), my impression is that they handle better especially in tight riding situations (woods etc). A 250 will be even faster in the tight stuff and most importantly, less tiring. This is based on what fellow riders have told me when they timed their laps on different bikes. I bought a 650r because I wanted something reliable and that had alot of torque because I weigh 280 pounds. I look at the 650 like an older chevy with a big V-8, low revs, high torque and heavy. The 450s are more like a rice rocket - better handling, high revs etc. Both can be fun just depends what game you want to play.

"...a big block Chevy" pretty well sums it up. Loads of torque, lots of rip-snorting power, at any rpm.

And yes, you can kick it over in flip-flops. I have never had the 650r bite me trying to start it. Yeah I've flooded it a couple of times, in which case I grab the decomp lever for 4-5 easy kicks, then I'm good to go.

Magic button? I don't need no stinkin magic button. I bought my 650r precisely because it was kick-only.

I have a XR650R and love it,i have a CRF500 4stroke and love it.

But after this post i am thinking of buying a CR500 cheap putting the suspenders on the XR, putting the motor in the CRF frame, selling the CRF motor,putting the CRF carb in the XR and it will all cost me next to nothing.

I need help not engineering help,i got issues.

I don't know what kind of riding you guys do on the 650 wearing flip-flops, when I ride its with a pair of Sidis, clamped down firmly.

Anyone thats ever taken a brute like the BRP and manhandled that SOB up and down sheer cliffs and ravines like they have here where I ride, knows the value of having a starter button.

For the REALLY hard core off-roading, a magic button is almost mandatory on 4 strokes, theres too many bikes that perform with a starter to be owning one without a starter.

But if your the kinda guy that rides back and forth to the corner store in flip-flops, or the kinda rider that starts his bike once, and rides across flat desert all day, than maybe you'll be happy with the old kick start technology.

But I'm not, and my next bike will have a button.

I cannot vouch for the 450's, but I'm sure they are good. I have a 650R and like you, came from a 2-stroke background, mostly 500's. I loved the big bore 2-strokes and all that power, but I also remember that power not being entirely useable. More than anything else 2-strokes would wear me out compared to 4-strokes even heavy ones like XR650R's and KLX650R's. For flat out open desert, the 650R still has no equal. There is a reason that Honda never changed it from the '00 model, they did not need to. For what it was designed to do, no one has built a better mousetrap yet. It has flaws as all bikes do. Being in AZ, the plus is that you can make it street legal as well and can actually make pretty long street runs. None of the 450's are at home on the street. It is stone reliable, super stable, comfortable, decent suspension (but not for jumping), not only a lot of power, but probably the best spread of power and most friendly output you will ever find. After 5 years on this bike, I'm still in awe of the low rpm pull. It is heavy, especially pushing it into the truck. On single track you will feel it as well, but flying through the desert it completely disappears. My next bike will probably be something different, but if a great deal came along on a new 650R, I would snap it up in a New York minute.

Thanks for all the replies/opinions. I found a new '07 for $6589 out-the-door. Also, a 15% discount on anything purchased at the same time as the bike, and a 10% discount on parts in the future. Another dealership said they could beat that price to get the sale. So,two questions. 1. Is the above a good price? 2. Other than a complicated fork rebuild (I've found a couple places on the web detailing the procedure), is there a "kit" etc. that improves the fork performance? The from end felt soft just sitting on the bike at the dealership. Thanks again.

I don't know what kind of riding you guys do on the 650 wearing flip-flops, when I ride its with a pair of Sidis, clamped down firmly.

Anyone thats ever taken a brute like the BRP and manhandled that SOB up and down sheer cliffs and ravines like they have here where I ride, knows the value of having a starter button.

For the REALLY hard core off-roading, a magic button is almost mandatory on 4 strokes, theres too many bikes that perform with a starter to be owning one without a starter.

But if your the kinda guy that rides back and forth to the corner store in flip-flops, or the kinda rider that starts his bike once, and rides across flat desert all day, than maybe you'll be happy with the old kick start technology.

But I'm not, and my next bike will have a button.

Sorry, not everyone is as core as you are.

I think the point is that the XR is not a light, snappy, hardcore trail bike.... It's a super-durable, very competent dualsport/ dirt bike.... Keep in mind this is implied for the average/ above average rider. Not for the hardcore seimipro enduro riders where you come from...

Kicking this pig aint Sh*t ?

My next bike will also have Estart. If you've ever stalled it highsided on a hill or got it stuck you'll know why I want it. It's no problem to start if your not in the above situations. It's not so easy to kick in kee deep muck and water. I don't wear flip flops so maby that's my problem.?