HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptainKnobby

Dunlop D952 or D756 for sand?

18 posts in this topic

I have a race this coming weekend in SC. and I have a set of Dunlop D952's on right now and they are still good (knobs arent worn much) The track Iam going to be at is all sand and I was wondering if I should put 756's on the front and back or just leave the 952's on? The 756's I have are about half worn but I took a dremel tool to the knobs and squared the edges back on to make them grab better. What do you guys think I should do? I dont want to buy another set of tires right now with just two races left this season. They will be going on my 06 yz450f with 47 hours on it now.

756 is definately a better sand tire, especially if you have made the knobs sharp. However, the tire will be done after that.

I have a race this coming weekend in SC. and I have a set of Dunlop D952's on right now and they are still good (knobs arent worn much) The track Iam going to be at is all sand and I was wondering if I should put 756's on the front and back or just leave the 952's on? The 756's I have are about half worn but I took a dremel tool to the knobs and squared the edges back on to make them grab better. What do you guys think I should do? I dont want to buy another set of tires right now with just two races left this season. They will be going on my 06 yz450f with 47 hours on it now.

I have used severall 756's over the years. An awesome tire, but the longevity should be better. My only peave with Dunlops, is they are awesome for like 2 races....

My favorite all around tire is the Maxxis MaxxCross IT, cheap tire, last a long time, and did I say CHEAP tire? Thats because Ricky and Bubba and Tim are not paid big bucks to run them.

The 952 rear will actually outlast a Maxxis IT. Furthermore, I buy them from a dealer who buys them in bulk, and I pay $50 each for them.

If I had to use 756's or 952's at a sand track, and both tires were in good shape, I'd run the 756 on the front and the 952 on the rear.

The 952 rear will actually outlast a Maxxis IT. Furthermore, I buy them from a dealer who buys them in bulk, and I pay $50 each for them.

If I had to use 756's or 952's at a sand track, and both tires were in good shape, I'd run the 756 on the front and the 952 on the rear.

Why would you mix match and not just run the same kind on the front and back? I also forgot to mention the the starting gate has a concrete pad that you take off on:thumbsdn: "to hard on tires" Will the 952's be all right to use or will I be better off to change out the front 952 to the 756 or will it make much difference.

I buy them from a dealer who buys them in bulk, and I pay $50 each for them.

Thats a smoking deal. I wish tires where that cheap around here.

I have used both 756 and 952, the 952 has much longevity, I have 7 races on my 952 and practice sessions, it is good in sand and lome, I think the 756 is a little better though but doesnt last as long, so it's kind of a trade off, I actually think the trade off isnt that significant, listen to grayracer sounds like a good combo!!

I actually run that set up ( 952 rear and 756 front) for track. Might seem weird, but I just switched from the rear 756 to the 952 and love the 952. I like my front tire, it just seems like Im riding with a pizza cutter up front. My next front tire will be the 742 FA. For sand, I would switch to the 756 for the rear. Kiss it goodbye after that race day though :thumbsup:

Why would you mix match and not just run the same kind on the front and back?
Because, IMO, the 756 front is better in the sand than the 952, and the 952 rear is better in that position. Why would they need to match?

We race in the sandy soil every weekend and given the choices (952 or 756) I'd go with the 756.

If I could choose any tire I'd run a 773 (front and rear).

If I were looking for a good tire at a cheaper price, go Kenda. The Millville will outlast the Maxxis or Dunlop.

Why would you mix match and not just run the same kind on the front and back? .

Nobody pays me to run tires. I mix and match whatever tires suit my peticular riding style. I like the Maxxis SureCross IT rear, and I also like the Kenda Millville front. Oddly, I don't like the Maxxis SureCross IT fronts, as they don't bite well. When I did an enduro or Hare scramble event, I liked running Pirelli MT16's. So many people like running "the flavor of the month tire". Just because your buddy loves the new "XXX" brand tire doesn't mean it will work for you....

For soft stuff you can't beat the Dunlop 773 rear but they wear out even faster than a 756. On the rear I have never noticed much difference traction-wise between the 952 and the 756 but the 952 lasts much longer. For the front I have not found a Dunlop that compares to the Michelin S-12.

I will try the 756 on the front and keep the 952 on the rear and see how that does during practice on saturday and if Iam not satisfied with the performance of the 952 on the rear I will put the 756 on.

Captain knobby, Are you racing MX with a concrete starting pad? If so, you will definitely notice a difference in starts...the 756 leaps off concrete compared to the 952.