01 426 rebuild

i have already owned 1 yz426. i sold it and hate that i did so now im looking into buying another one. i have found one that the guy thinks the engine is blown on it. my question is how hard are these motors to rebuild and what kind of prices would i be looking at. i have looked around and found piston kits for them but no full rebuild kits or anything.

does anyone have any suggestions or sites to look at and find parts for it? thanks in advance.

jason

As Gray says, the TT store is THE place to get parts. I rebuilt my WR about a year and a half ago. Big Bore, all new valves, springs, keepers, guides, cut the seats, some porting, new crank and crank bearings, clutch plates, gaskets, seals and miscellaneous narf. Ran just under 1800 bucks by the time I was done. You won't find a "kit", tear it down, inspect everything, make a list and order from the TT store.

i have already owned 1 yz426. i sold it and hate that i did so now im looking into buying another one. i have found one that the guy thinks the engine is blown on it. my question is how hard are these motors to rebuild and what kind of prices would i be looking at. i have looked around and found piston kits for them but no full rebuild kits or anything.

does anyone have any suggestions or sites to look at and find parts for it? thanks in advance.

jason

I completely rebuilt my buddies '02 250F from a result of a light engine siezure, and the total cost for parts was $1600 alone, labor took me about 40 hours from start to finish. The engine needed a crank, head, cams, piston, crank bearings, and gasket kit. My advice is to think REAL hard about what you are getting into. Expect the worst case scenario as far as cost.

well i work on cars for a living and i think i can get the bike for a good price. i dont think actually rebuilding it would be a problem as long as there are no special tools needed or anything like that. i am thinking 1800 dollars max for parts for a full rebuild so as long as i can get the bike for a price where i am still under the resale value then i am probably going to go for it.

No expensively special tools required...a flywheel puller (about 20 bucks); a steering wheel puller works for separatig the case halves; a valve spring compressor can be made from a piece of conduit; a flywheel holder is nice if you don't have an impact gun. I assume you would sub out the valve seat cutting and valve guide replacement...