HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bandit9

Race Vegas to Reno on an XR650L???

12 posts in this topic

Haven't done it on an L, but sure, why not? Of course there are better bike choices, like your GasGas 250 shown in your signature, but a decently set up L (good suspension, tank, bars) would handle it just fine if that's all ya got. I have an L set up like that and have done V2R a couple times.

The XR650L is not a bad choice for a long ride as The Barstow to Vegas. You may need to customize the bike to make it more worthy for the ride. You will need a heavy duty skid plate , Heavy Duty pegs, Fork and shock springs depending on your weight, a good exhaust system, the carb mod. There are also billet racks for the rear for luggage or gear and even a softer seat foam for long rides. There are other bike choices, but the XR650L is the most reliable I know.:thumbsup::ride:

thats crazy to take a bike like the L and try such a brutal race like that. now ive raced a bit of desert and it can be done but the L would need alot of upgrading, its gonna be brutally hot and the air cooled will be the hardest thing on the bike. just my opinion but if you wanna use the L for rides pick another race than the 400 mile VtoR race

Man that just sounds like fun. maybe we should get a big group from TT going there in a year or two?

:thumbsup::p Could be done:excuseme: :cry: Concentrate all efforts on the suspension & your pace could be faster, thus benefitting the air cooled motor?:worthy::p

I have no question an XRL would be a good bike to DO it on, but I wouldn't consider doing so RACING.

But if you keep a good pace and preserve your energy, I even bet you wouldn't be last.

Dave

The L is going to be way heavy for a race like that. How many ppl will be racing the bike with you? If you are going to do it make sure the suspention is set up right. Good luck. Take pictures, you may have time when you stop to curse that heavy bike!!!

A big fin kit and oil cooler would be a must. Other than the suspension and other typical mods.

Sorry for the delay, a new baby boy and starting a business happened......

I would never seriously "race" a 650L in anything. I'm pretty much retired now from racing. I just like doing long distance stuff. Being in La. it is hard to find any type of long distance race like out west. So I have access to a 650L that I think would be fine for just cruising from start to finish. I really don't care about the podium, just the personal challenge and adventure of riding a marked course through the desert from Vegas to Reno, without getting run over by a trophy truck. Not living out west, it is a pain to figure out where to ride and stuff, so signing up for a marked race is always the best option to satisfy my Western desert riding fantasies. Paramedics are usually not to far away. It really isn't a bad deal. I would be solo on the bike, but have the usual pit babe (wife) for gas stops. She is good at that. Refuses to turn a wrench, but has good sandwiches and is usually there when I show up. Also listening to her tell me how stupid I am all the way home is also a bonus. Was looking at Baja, but things are nuts down there right now. Not ready to die or watch my wife be raped at gunpoint. Just want to ride in the desert for 30 hours straight.

I guess just about any bike would be ok for that purpose. But a 650L would probably be the most comfortable. And it is free.

The XR650L is not a bad choice for a long ride as The Barstow to Vegas. You may need to customize the bike to make it more worthy for the ride. You will need a heavy duty skid plate , Heavy Duty pegs, Fork and shock springs depending on your weight, a good exhaust system, the carb mod. There are also billet racks for the rear for luggage or gear and even a softer seat foam for long rides. There are other bike choices, but the XR650L is the most reliable I know.:excuseme::bonk:

Kinda like this!

bike007.jpgbike008.jpg