YZ426 Gearing - Confused?

I have a '00' YZ426 (444 Bore Kit) with stock 14/49 sprockets.

Ive been reading thread after thread on 426 gearing and most seem to be running 14/52 gearing or similar... which will give you more bottom end- correct?

Now where im confused is i feel my bike runs out of legs to quickly, bottom end power is great i love it but in top gear i cant stretch it out to much.. i ride with wr450's and on the long straights i always fall back cause motor seems to be reving to high.

We ride in pine forrests on dirt trails, rocky hill climbs, etc.

So im thinking i have to go down a couple teeth in the rear to get more top end or maybe up one tooth on the front- Does this sound right?

Keeping in mind i dont want to loose my bottom end :thumbsup: just want a little more up top.

Cheers

What I have heard is that 3 teeth in the back is similar to 1 in the front. I'm not sure what my 426 is geared at but I sure wouldn't want it to be any faster.

You are correct...14/52 will give you more bottom and less top.

When I installed the big bore kit on my 01 WR, I found that there was actually too much bottom end...if I just crack the throttle on single track, the back end would bust loose. Granted it's a WR and the internal ratios are different.

Anyway, I went up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket and it made all of the ratios feel a lot more "right" It has significantly more top end than my riding partner's YZ426's

If you are starting with 14/49 gearing, that would be like going down 4 teeth on the rear sprocket.

You are correct...14/52 will give you more bottom and less top.

When I installed the big bore kit on my 01 WR, I found that there was actually too much bottom end...if I just crack the throttle on single track, the back end would bust loose. Granted it's a WR and the internal ratios are different.

Anyway, I went up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket and it made all of the ratios feel a lot more "right" It has significantly more top end than my riding partner's YZ426's

If you are starting with 14/49 gearing, that would be like going down 4 teeth on the rear sprocket.

Yes you are correct, with the big bore kit traction down low is much worse.. i think i might try the 15/49.. do you think it will still be agressive down low?

Thanks

Kinda like "can I have my cake and eat it too?" Take the number of teeth on the back sprocket and divide by the number of the front.

Xample 48 div by 14 = 3.43 good top end or 52 div by 13 = 4.00 good bottom end. If you want a happy medium try 14 and 52 = 3.71 and so on.

the front turns 3.71 times to 1 turn of the back, this is your gear ratio.

the higher the ratio the lower the gear = bottom end torq

the lower the ratio the higher the gear = top end speed

This is why the trick bikes have monster spockets on the back...

Just dont try a 12 on front of 01 426, even a narrow(cheap) chain scrubs the case.Requires spacers which offset chain which = more wear. god luck

Ive been reading thread after thread on 426 gearing and most seem to be running 14/52 gearing or similar...
That's because most of the threads on the subject start out with a question about gearing for the woods. If the question went to desert gearing, or civilizing a 444, the responses would be different.

And yes, 3 at the rear is very close to 1 at the front when you mention gearing in this range.

No Probs. Thanks all

Il try a 15/49 as mentioned, just hope it dosnt loose too much botom end.

If it does il prob then change to a 15/50 or 15/51.

Cheers