HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mightymart

Changing gear

8 posts in this topic

Do you use the clutch to change up & down the gears ? A friend of mine has A WR450 & doesnt not use the clutch to change up & down the gears but I have tried it & when in very low gears its really hard to change.

Do you use the clutch to change up & down the gears ? A friend of mine has A WR450 & doesnt not use the clutch to change up & down the gears but I have tried it & when in very low gears its really hard to change.

Usually I use the clutch to change up and down, but if I'm lazy, I'll just let the throttle off, shift up, and throttle on again (all fairly quickly of course). I always use the clutch to downshift. This is especially useful on the street so the rear wheel doesn't lock up and skid. I can let the engine speed match the gearbox by blipping the throttle with the clutch in while downshifting- you know, "rev up on change down"- and braking at the same time.

I learnt this trick when I first learnt to ride when I was about 7yo. Dad told me it, he used to do it when racing (in the 'olden days') to save time.

Does not clutching damage the trans? Effect longevity?

You have to "go by feel" on clutchless shifting. Oftentimes, you can snick it into the next gear, and it is effortless, and smooth. If I try this and I feel resistance, I clutch.

90% of the time I clutch, just thru force of habit. But in tight spots, or as was mentioned, if I am lazy and the drivetrain isn't under load, I will forgo the clutch.

Thanks guys,

I must admit I have only used my XR on the road as I only got it this week (Can't wait to get on the dirt !) Also I also found that I used the clutch 90% of time but when booting it off I seem to go in to motocross mode & completely forgot about the clutch but only then did it slip in to gear nice.