Fixed My Turning Issues On The 07!

FINALLY! ? I went to the Applied 24mm offset clamps and all I have to say is WOW! I cannot believe how much 1mm difference makes on how the bike handles. It gave up no high speed stability and the bike will hit the tightest inside lines consistently! The clamps worked so well that I had to drop my forks back to the line.. I did have the line raised 5mm previously. If you find you are having turning issues (and I know there's a bunch of you too from the previous thread) Don't even hesitate, just get the clamps and be done with the complaining! From how my bike is handling now, IMO the 22mm clamp would be much too aggressive of a change and I bet the bike would knife too hard. I'm just so happy my bike turns now :bonk: In comparison to the RMZ450, the YZ will turn as good or better with the 24mm offset. If you ridden the Suzuki you know how good they turn, so this is definitely an A+ mod in my book. Hope this post will help some of you guys out in the turning department :ride:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was on the fence about buying a set, but I guess I have to now. I just dont trust the front end of my 06 in flat turns. Yes, I raised the forks, and set my sag (with gear on), and have a fresh bridgestone 401a on the front:prof: . Applied 24mm's are next. Thanks for the review!

The bike is going to turn much tighter for you with the 24mm! The best part is that I don't think its a compromise on handling anywhere else. I've only ridding 2 weekends with them now and I'm yet to see any side effects.

FINALLY! :ride: I went to the Applied 24mm offset clamps and all I have to say is WOW! I cannot believe how much 1mm difference makes on how the bike handles. It gave up no high speed stability and the bike will hit the tightest inside lines consistently! The clamps worked so well that I had to drop my forks back to the line.. I did have the line raised 5mm previously. If you find you are having turning issues (and I know there's a bunch of you too from the previous thread) Don't even hesitate, just get the clamps and be done with the complaining! From how my bike is handling now, IMO the 22mm clamp would be much too aggressive of a change and I bet the bike would knife too hard. I'm just so happy my bike turns now :eek: In comparison to the RMZ450, the YZ will turn as good or better with the 24mm offset. If you ridden the Suzuki you know how good they turn, so this is definitely an A+ mod in my book. Hope this post will help some of you guys out in the turning department :bonk:

Thanks for the writeup, sounds like a good choice.?

Was curious as to your riding ability if you don't mind? How would you rate yourself - amateur, intermediate, or expert and do you or have you ever raced? Also, how many years have you been riding. Lastly, any pics?

Thanks!

Thanks for the writeup, sounds like a good choice.?

Was curious as to your riding ability if you don't mind? How would you rate yourself - amateur, intermediate, or expert and do you or have you ever raced? Also, how many years have you been riding. Lastly, any pics?

Thanks!

He is a A rider I think, I have seen vids of him and he is not slow.

I have 24mm's on my 06 as well as a SDG Tall seat, and it turns better than any bike I have ever owned..........?

So I have a seat coming, but have asked others re: these offsets and have heard conflicting reports. I guess I won't know until I give them a try. I heard so much talk both positive and not so positive that I'm having a hard time digesting what may work. I personally believe you and the original poster that you feel they have helped the turning. :bonk::ride::eek:

If you are running the correct springs for your weight, have you race sag set, fork height set then the clamps will help. If your setup is out then thats not going to help. The clamps made a night and day difference on how tight the bike turns. Its a very noticeable difference for me, and I can't see how it wouldn't help you. I ride the Expert/Pro class here locally, so maybe that will validate my opinion more for you, not sure. All I can tell you is that it fixed my bike and I'm 100% satisfied with the change.

I first rode with the clamps at a local sand track... it turned so aggressive compared to stock it was almost too much. I lowered the forks back to the first line in the clamps and it made the handling much more predictable, and smoother turning. Today I rode a natural terrain hard pack track. Lots of hills, valleys tight corners and off chamber stuff. I have spent many hours riding this track previously with the stock clamps, and today I was hitting lines with my YZ that I could never reach before. I am flat out amazed. Stay tuned.. I will update this thread after riding some different terrains. Hopefully get another ride tomorrow if the weather holds.

How's the stability of your bike now negotiating long downhills with braking whoops ? This is a true test of fork stability....

I am still out for verdict if I would truly be happy with a set of offsets. I do a lot of sand riding, and my bike handles perfect. On a more loose loomy track, I could use a little more bite....

I haven't tested the bike on whooped out downhills yet, but the bike has been pretty stable on the tracks I've tried so far. I heard the 08 YZ450 is standard with the 24mm offset, so I don't think you can go too far wrong with the choice. Langston said is very happy with his new Yamaha this year too because it actually turns!

If you are running the correct springs for your weight, have you race sag set, fork height set then the clamps will help. If your setup is out then thats not going to help. The clamps made a night and day difference on how tight the bike turns. Its a very noticeable difference for me, and I can't see how it wouldn't help you. I ride the Expert/Pro class here locally, so maybe that will validate my opinion more for you, not sure. All I can tell you is that it fixed my bike and I'm 100% satisfied with the change.

A great point, in fact the most important pont to this whole corning issue phenom...:ride:

.....you must have proper set up with spring rates, race sag and fork height to fully take advantage of what the clamps can offer....otherwise it will make little to no difference or worse....and this I believe is where a majority of the problems lie with riders complaining...reading my bike won't turn correctly...As GreyRacer mentions, he has found the sweet spot with a stock set up. So it can be done...

I found that the sweet spot for me with proper sag, springs and fork height for stock clamps, just had a couple of issues...transitions from left to right and vice versa/front end washing out, and inside cornering taking way too much apex area to cover at speed...very much like a drifting issue.

The combination of proper set up especially correct race sag, and shock preload/spring rates, fork height is by far most important. The clamps and seat now have made my bike unreal at railing corners and no loss of stability....time to ride....?

I have a Rekluse e-axle on the way. Anyone use one of these? I'm hoping to duplicate the 24mm offset fix for $189.00. I also have the Dubach Radiator lowering kit coming and hope to have both on for a race at Lake Sugar Tree next weekend.?

Let us know how it works. Also, could you take a picture or two of it on when you get it installed. I have only been able to find pictures of the e-axle alone, not mounted. Thanks.

I haven't tested the bike on whooped out downhills yet, but the bike has been pretty stable on the tracks I've tried so far. I heard the 08 YZ450 is standard with the 24mm offset, so I don't think you can go too far wrong with the choice. Langston said is very happy with his new Yamaha this year too because it actually turns!

The 08 also has new frame geometry. Not an apples to apples comparison by just comparing offsets. ?