Carb Cleaning???

Hey everyone, I'mn getting ready to tear my 99yz400f down for the winter rebuild! MY season is over due to broken collar bone and seperated shoulder!

My question is does yamaha make a gasket kit for for the carb or do I have to buy each piece seperate? I'm going to put a JDjetting kit in it and zip ty fuel mixtuer screw and give it a good cleaning!

Should I take it completely apart or just enough to replace the jets and call it good? I looked at the yamaha parts catalog and could not see a gasket "kit"!

can someone point me in the right direction:thumbsup: Looks like #3 & #29 are the only ones I need!

903_carburetor.gif

Look into ultrasonic cleaning , full teardown is unnecessary with this method . Contact a local automotive carb shop about info .

Have you had this done? I don't think the carb has ever been apart:crazy: !

If not for the injury(tight budget),I was going to send it to tokyo or zip ty and let them deal with it!

just did my 99 400 and that is all the gaskets just 3 and 29. I was able to reuse mine no prob. Make sure you get the early design fuel screw. It is the one that does not have a "knob" on the end of it. It is still a little hard to deal, but way better that the oe. I have found that a round spark plug gap tool helps to turn it easier. It is just hard to get your hand in there when it is hot and the chain tensioner is kinda blocking you. make sure and record all jets sizes while you have them out, it will save you sometime, trust me. watch the fuel screw and make sure you get out the washer and oring.

lets see... what else did I do wrong the first time ??????

just did my 99 400 and that is all the gaskets just 3 and 29. I was able to reuse mine no prob. Make sure you get the early design fuel screw. It is the one that does not have a "knob" on the end of it. It is still a little hard to deal, but way better that the oe. I have found that a round spark plug gap tool helps to turn it easier. It is just hard to get your hand in there when it is hot and the chain tensioner is kinda blocking you. make sure and record all jets sizes while you have them out, it will save you sometime, trust me. watch the fuel screw and make sure you get out the washer and oring.

lets see... what else did I do wrong the first time ??????

Cool just got one from BIG G'S on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320147481358

He couldn't give it away on ebay,so I called him up and he sold it to me for $10bucks shipped:applause: ! Now I just have to wait for it to get to the east coast from HI!