HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PatrickM

Clutch lever pull on my 99 YZ400F

10 posts in this topic

I had my clutch replaced about three rides ago and I had the clutch adjusted but after riding my bike a couple of times, The clutch seems to be getting tighter and tighter.

I dropped my bike once since everything was adjusted and my clutch lever was bent to the point of cracking....

Now my clutch lever is super tight. its almost to the point that I cant hold it for very long after a couple of hours on my bike.

Now...I dont know if my cable should be adjusted or replaced

if the cable needs to be adjusted.....Do i adjust it on the engine side or the lever side????

If the cable needs to be replaced....is it easy to do???

Thanks for the help TT'ers!!!!

Patrick M.

I had my clutch replaced about three rides ago and I had the clutch adjusted but after riding my bike a couple of times, The clutch seems to be getting tighter and tighter.

I dropped my bike once since everything was adjusted and my clutch lever was bent to the point of cracking....

Now my clutch lever is super tight. its almost to the point that I cant hold it for very long after a couple of hours on my bike.

Now...I dont know if my cable should be adjusted or replaced

if the cable needs to be adjusted.....Do i adjust it on the engine side or the lever side????

If the cable needs to be replaced....is it easy to do???

Thanks for the help TT'ers!!!!

Patrick M.

I have the excat same problem, on the excat same bike, so hopefully someone can help us out.

should i adjust at the lever or at the engine side of the cable????

Both! You should adjust the cable at the engine side in such a way that the lever end is at mid adjustment. This will leave you with the most adjustability on the trail.

Yeah bro my bike seems like the clutch pull is way to close.And its super tight.I cant put one finger on the clutch to rev it for a monster wheelie.Like on my last bike (2004 honda cr125):thumbsup:

If the increase in effort came immediately with the new clutch, my guess is that after market springs were used.

If the increase in effort is something that has developed since the clutch was replaced, it's probably a bad cable. They're not hard to replace.

I would replace the cable to start, I did that and it helped, I also bought an "Easy pull" from moose racing and man that helped out a ton!! You do have to spend some time adjusting all the cables to make it work well and all should be go. As stated about they may have put on stiffer springs and that is a good thing once you get past the whole thing.

I decided to go with a new cable and ASV levers.

thanks for all of your input!!!

Patrick M.