Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motomonte

Bup starting 650L

11 posts in this topic

Recently my bike has developed the nasty habit of not starting or just barely crank.It starts fine at first and after a few stops it will just turn a few times and nothing.I proceed to pushstart it and then it runs fine and starts a few times and again it wents dead.Haven't being able to pinpoint it either to the starter or the battery (wich by the way is priced very high 70-90ish).This started after installing a new pipe and a used driving light,one of those high-wattage bulbs.Could it be one of this mods or it's just coincidence?I'll be replacing the hi-watt bulb with the stocker meanwhile.Any help will be appreciated.:thumbsup:

p.s. :By the way,in wich gear it's easier to pushstart this bike?

I usually bump start my XR600 in second. First is just too low a gear and the tire will skid instead of turn. Third will work as well but it takes a little more speed.

The 650L makes about 180 watts I think, so you should have plenty of juice to run a higher wattage bulb. If your problems continue I'd guess that your battery needs to be replaced. If that doesn't do it then it could be the rectifier/regulator.

1 person likes this

More likely the battery. Possible that the alt. cannot keep uo with the higher wattage bulb, or maybe the battery is just weak.

You should be getting 14-14.5 volts at the battery with it running.

I'd bump it in 2nd, prob.

Dave

1 person likes this

Thanks for the replies,will be replacing battery soon.Did a voltage check and it turned fine.Took the battery to a shop to have it tested and turned to be fine.Read somewhere that even when the electrolite looks good it may have a few cells not working properly.Have another question:if the engine gets way too hot,will it keep from cranking properly?Thanks again.

You installed a driving light and a high wattage headlight? Sounds like you are just using a bit too much power. Usually if the battery is ok to start after sitting it is fine, at least for a while. If it passed a load test then the cells should be fine. You should probably figure up the load you are placing on the charging system.

Thanks for the replies,will be replacing battery soon.Did a voltage check and it turned fine.Took the battery to a shop to have it tested and turned to be fine.Read somewhere that even when the electrolite looks good it may have a few cells not working properly.Have another question:if the engine gets way too hot,will it keep from cranking properly?Thanks again.

a heated up engine will crank fine, as long as its not seized!LOL! heat does affect a batteries cranking amps though.

a heated up engine will crank fine, as long as its not seized!LOL! heat does affect a batteries cranking amps though.

I asked this since once I had a car that wouldn't crank when hot,the starter would bind/drag.:thumbsup:

vroach: I only installed a hi-watt headlight(wich I called driving light)just a translating glitch...

Thanks everybody.I'll install a new batt. tomorow.Also will do a complete check of wirings,plugs,connectors and starter motor,just cheap insurance.:ride:

I asked this since once I had a car that wouldn't crank when hot,the starter would bind/drag.:thumbsup:

vroach: I only installed a hi-watt headlight(wich I called driving light)just a translating glitch...

Thanks everybody.I'll install a new batt. tomorow.Also will do a complete check of wirings,plugs,connectors and starter motor,just cheap insurance.:ride:

some older domestic v-8 engines had heat trouble with the header heating up the starter and wouldnt work well.

If you start the bike and turn on all of the accessories, and you are still getting good voltage, then I would first suspect the battery. A voltage drop test on the major wires certainly wouldn't hurt, though.