650L exhuast which doesn't require packing??

Does one exist? Other than stock of course.

I use my bike for commuting and weekends so I'm looking for a good exhaust that doesn't require re-packing every 30-60 hours. Any recommendations?

(Why do off-road exhausts have packing anyways? )

(Why do off-road exhausts have packing anyways? )

Much cheaper to make. Just cap a tube at either end, wrap a bunch of packing around the core, and assemble. Then they can sell you a $300 pipe that cost then $40 in parts to make. If it makes some more noise, they'll sell it. Louder is faster, right?

If you make the midpipe removable, you can use that same can for many bikes. Just change midpipes.

If you want a baffled exhaust, for the performance expected, a lot of R&D would need to be involved, and then it would be bike specific as well. Very costly.

And no, I don't know of anyone that makes a baffled exhaust for a 650L (or R for that matter) than Honda.

I know it's sort of apples to oranges, but why is it that street pipes don't need packing when dirt pipes do? Especially when you're talking about a pipe on a dual-sport? Plus, most companies that make pipes for dual-sports make them for street bikes too. I'd think that would defray much of the R&D costs. ?

Maybe I need to find a way to uncork the stock muffler.

If your willing to pay the bucks, the Staintune exhaust is probably the best bang for the buck. Handmade, polished stainless steel systems which never need re packing. They have good performance, look and sound great, and should last a long time. The people I know who have them have had them for years and they still look great. They can be polished back to original shine and luster anytime. Drawbacks, availability at times, and no spark arrester. (In Australia spark arresters and not required) You would have to fab a spark arrester for "the boys" if your riding areas require them. Check out the site below...?

http://www.staintune.com.au/

Those Staintune pipes are nice but they are expensive! :ride:

What do people do when they take a bike which needs packing on a long trip? If I was to ride, say, the TransAmerica Trail, I'm sure I'd put enough hours on that I'd need to repack the exhaust. So do people take packing with them, buy it along the way, what?? ?

Those prices are in Aussie dollars. The shipping is what will add up.

What do people do when they take a bike which needs packing on a long trip? If I was to ride, say, the TransAmerica Trail, I'm sure I'd put enough hours on that I'd need to repack the exhaust. So do people take packing with them, buy it along the way, what?? ?

Pack it before you go. Chances are you will not need to. If so you live with it louder until you can redo!

If you know the guys down at the local shop pretty good, ask them how much it would be for them to order a Staintune Exhaust it for you. My local shop offered to sell me the whole system for around $650. Thats not much more then most systems. No maintenance, lighter then stock, well built, great looks and it should last as long as the bike. That is worth the few extra bucks for me...

Repacking on a trip...probably not... maybe do the repacking prior to the big ride and then worry about it when you get home... unless you have an issue. I know many guys who go alot further then the recommendations of exhaust manufactures with thier repacking. Some guys only do it when the exhausts gets louder... I would follow the recommendations or at least inspect at the intervals the manufactures suggest...

Thats why I still run the stock exhaust with a drilled out tip on my R. No maintenance, and simular performance to most exhausts out there, and it will probably handle the big wammy better. Drawbacks- looks and weight, but both have not slowed me down yet!....:bonk:

If you know the guys down at the local shop pretty good, ask them how much it would be for them to order a Staintune Exhaust it for you. My local shop offered to sell me the whole system for around $650. Thats not much more then most systems. No maintenance, lighter then stock, well built, great looks and it should last as long as the bike. That is worth the few extra bucks for me...

Repacking on a trip...probably not... maybe do the repacking prior to the big ride and then worry about it when you get home... unless you have an issue. I know many guys who go alot further then the recommendations of exhaust manufactures with thier repacking. Some guys only do it when the exhausts gets louder... I would follow the recommendations or at least inspect at the intervals the manufactures suggest...

Thats why I still run the stock exhaust with a drilled out tip on my R. No maintenance, and simular performance to most exhausts out there, and it will probably handle the big wammy better. Drawbacks- looks and weight, but both have not slowed me down yet!....?

I'll give them a call and see what they say. For some reason I figured that Aussie dollars were like 1.5 to 1 US dollar and that a system would be around $900. At $600 I might be interested.

If your willing to pay the bucks, the Staintune exhaust is probably the best bang for the buck. Handmade, polished stainless steel systems which never need re packing. They have good performance, look and sound great, and should last a long time. The people I know who have them have had them for years and they still look great. They can be polished back to original shine and luster anytime. Drawbacks, availability at times, and no spark arrester. (In Australia spark arresters and not required) You would have to fab a spark arrester for "the boys" if your riding areas require them. Check out the site below...?

http://www.staintune.com.au/

+1 on the Staintune.

100% stainless steel, no packing needed, removable cap depending on what kind of volume / airflow you want.

I was also looking for a maintenance-free muffler, decided to go for the Staintune. (Yeah it hurts the pocket a bit). I got muffler only, and I love it.

The build quality is excellent. You can see when u get one that a lot of time & thought get puts into construction - looks kind of hand-made, not "el cheapo" factory made. The welding is perfection.

Very solid. Fitting onto the bike (using stock headers) was very precise - no pushing or pulling. Just slides on and all the bolts are perfectly aligned. This muffle aint gonna break - like they say, it looks like it will outlast the bike.

I use it uncapped - it flows more than my stock exhaust, the bike is revving more freely. Need to re-jet the carb.

Best of all is the sound - gotta hear it to believe it. Very deep, this is what a thumper should sound like!

One of those pipes that you just want to start it up to listen.

At idle it thumps nicely, under power it really barks.

Worth every penny in my opinion.

And no I'm not a salesman, just a very happy customer...

+1 on the Staintune.

100% stainless steel, no packing needed, removable cap depending on what kind of volume / airflow you want.

I was also looking for a maintenance-free muffler, decided to go for the Staintune. (Yeah it hurts the pocket a bit). I got muffler only, and I love it.

The build quality is excellent. You can see when u get one that a lot of time & thought get puts into construction - looks kind of hand-made, not "el cheapo" factory made. The welding is perfection.

Very solid. Fitting onto the bike (using stock headers) was very precise - no pushing or pulling. Just slides on and all the bolts are perfectly aligned. This muffle aint gonna break - like they say, it looks like it will outlast the bike.

I use it uncapped - it flows more than my stock exhaust, the bike is revving more freely. Need to re-jet the carb.

Best of all is the sound - gotta hear it to believe it. Very deep, this is what a thumper should sound like!

One of those pipes that you just want to start it up to listen.

At idle it thumps nicely, under power it really barks.

Worth every penny in my opinion.

And no I'm not a salesman, just a very happy customer...

It does sound good... Our local shop owner and his wife both run full systems on their bikes... I love the idle rumble, but sound of going thru the gears is a love song for thumper fans...?

Retail price in Australia is 640 Australian dollars for the muffler (about $530 US). 500 australian dollars for the headers (Abvt $410 US).

Shipping costs? Don't know.

Aussie dollar is 0.825 to the 1 US dollar.

Retail price in Australia is 640 Australian dollars for the muffler (about $530 US). 500 australian dollars for the headers (Abvt $410 US).

Shipping costs? Don't know.

Aussie dollar is 0.825 to the 1 US dollar.

A rep from Cal Moto who distributes Staintune in the US contacted me via e-mail and quoted $450 for the muffler (part #337A3) and $349 for the big bore header (part # 337J5). I believe these are US retail prices. My local shop quoted me around $650 as I remember for the complete system. ?

A rep from Cal Moto who distributes Staintune in the US contacted me via e-mail and quoted $450 for the muffler (part #337A3) and $349 for the big bore header (part # 337J5). I believe these are US retail prices. My local shop quoted me around $650 as I remember for the complete system. ?

Weird. That's cheaper than Australia retail price according to the price list on Staintune website.

Personally I would go for it. I think it would outlast any system out there. And it performs.

• 7 months later...