Show me your dual sported WR....

Here's my '02 426

DSC05237_small.jpg

Sweet wheels dude:worthy:

Sweet wheels dude:worthy:

Thanks man. They're off a Suzuki 250 Bandit, I fitted them myself. I actually prefer the look of spoked wheels on a supermotard, but getting them at a reasonable price here in NZ isn't really possible. I got those wheels including powdercoating, tyres, front & rear discs and chain & sprockets for less than the price of what spoked wheels alone would've cost.

Thanks man. They're off a Suzuki 250 Bandit, I fitted them myself. I actually prefer the look of spoked wheels on a supermotard, but getting them at a reasonable price here in NZ isn't really possible. I got those wheels including powdercoating, tyres, front & rear discs and chain & sprockets for less than the price of what spoked wheels alone would've cost.

how much did you have to do to get the bandit wheels to fit ? I had to make spacers to get my excels on right .

DSC00924.jpg

For the front, I had to get the wheel machined slightly and a disc carrier made up to fit the EBC 320mm roter.

For the rear, the sprocket carrier had to be machined down to bring the sprocket closer to the wheel, and the new sprocket bolt holes had to be countersunk so the bolt heads cleared the swingarm. I also had to get a GSX250 rear disc and machine it down to 245mm (from 250) to fit the original caliper, luckily it was already in line when the wheel was centered so I didn't have to machine/space out the carrier.

Furthermore I now run a 20mm rear axle because no one (that I could find) makes bearings with the right OD for the wheel with a 22mm ID, so I have very thin spacers on each side to take up the extra space through the swingarm. Along with that, I got all the spacers and everything made up to center the wheels etc.

It took me a while to get it all right, but I'm very happy with the result, so far ~2000km on them and the only problem was the sprocket bolts coming loose (even though I used ni-lock nuts).

have you tryed red locktite on the bolts ? I always use it or blue on my spockets and rotors . did you machine in a shoulder for the spocket to center on ? on is it just centered on the bolts?

I've still got some chain rub on mine . I going to make up a spocket spacer once my lathe at work gets hooked back up.

Going through tires waaay tooo fast:thumbsup:

rightone.jpg

lefttwo.jpg

Yes the sprocket still has the original shoulder that centers it, I think the problem was the bolts I used, they have a countersunk head with only a 6mm allen hole, so I couldn't do them up very tight with the t-bar I was using. When I noticed they were loose, I grabbed the t-bar near the end with vise grips to get extra leverage, so they should be fine now.

I spaced my chain out 3mm from original as well, I used a front sprocket of a Suzuki GS500 which has the same spline as the WRs but a 3mm shoulder on the inside. I still have a little bit of chain rub but nothing to be worried about.

I like it how was the package to install, directions get you hooked up? how does your batter like the extra load, still charge OK? thanks for the info man! very simple clean look.

What package? there was no kits for my bike when I did mine. I just bought parts and then wired it myself . I did do the baja designs stator mod . I rewired the stator , then wired all my lights thru a relay straight to the battery. the relay is triggered by the key that I put in place of the stock button. I wired the whole thing with 14 awg with two hots and two grounds that way the headlight had almost no power lose. I have no flicker at all . in fact my headlight is brighter then everybodies I ride with . I could get you a parts list if you would like . it was not all that much cheaper then buying a kit , but it is done the way I wanted it done . every joint is soldered and shrink wraped , except the ends.

I have a bunch of stuff here regarding dual sporting my Wr400, including pictures:

www.farplaces.com/dual.htm