HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mxgene

Base gasket/lube

7 posts in this topic

So I ordered a new piston with Cometic gasket kit for my 426. Two questions for y'all (Gray being the encyclopedia brittanica of YZ's:thumbsup: ),

1- The Cometic kit comes with a sheet metal base gasket instead of the stock paper gasket. Which is better?

2- During reassembly, which assembly lube is best for the cam and piston wrist pin?

I have some from Crane Cams but don't know if the chemicals will degrade the clutch plates.

Thx...

I've never seen a sheet metal base gasket. You sure that isn't the head gasket? Or do you have a thin metal shim with a gasket stuck on both sides?

Any assembly lube is OK, but just don't get crried away with it. Apply a thin coat on the cam lobes, and pre oil everything else with you favorite engine oil.

I'm sure. The head gasket, is a sheet metal assembly with three layers held together with a brass rivet on each side.

The tensioner gasket, has the fiber on both sides but not the base gasket.

I am sure it is the base gasket since it has an opening for the O-ring at the case under the cylinder.

A metal base gasket from your Cometic kit? I just installed mine tonight and it was fiber! The head gasket was/is a 3 piece metal gasket.

The only base gasket that I've seen that has metal in it was from a CRF450. The base gaskets for YZF's should be a fiber material. Double check that you have the right gasket kit.

To say I was nervous about using the sheet metal gasket is an understatement.

Anyway, I called Cometic and talked with one of the tech guys. He informed me that with the EST kits (better I guess), they went away from the fiber gasket and went to the sheet metal for better sealing.

Just an FYI. I'll upload a picture so everybody can see it.