To vent or not to vent, that is the question

As you may have read from a previous thread, I had a jetting issue that needed to be ironed out. Bottom line was that I was running too rich and I found this out by a trial run without the airbox sidecover on. Contrary to what I've read should have been the outcome, I definitely noticed an low to mid rpm power gain. I didn't notice much more on top, but it ran smoother since the mixture was better. I'm trying to decide whether I should vent the sidecover or go from a 160 main down to a 158. Any opinions?

The lower to mid power soudns to me like your pilot jet/pilot screw. Try adjusting those. Take the pilot jet 1 size down from what it is and see if that helps any.

If you just want to "test" it out, start the bike and get it all warmed up. When it's all warmed up adjust the pilot screw out (counter clockwise turning) until it barely idles. Then start to screw it in (clockwise) and count how many turns it takes to make it so barely idles. Then screw that screw out half that many turns and it should be running the absolute best for that given pilot jet.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much for the tuning tips! Right now I'm trying to decide if the performance benefit of the vented sidecover outweigh the drawbacks which would mainly be more noise and a little more vulnerability to water.:ride:

Potential water intrusion and shortened service intervals of air filters is just a start of opening up your air box. You need to get the right balance of more air and fuel in and more air out for performance gains. If your bike is basically stock, and assuming you have already gone thru the uncorking procedures, I would just focus on your jetting and carb adjustments first to get the bike to run right. Once that is all dialed in, you should be happy with the performance. I do not think you need to open up the airbox cover to get your bike to run well at this point. Just get a good Hi Flo air filter if you have not done so already. My .02 cents... good luck! ?

I was wondering the same.I have some mesh screen that I think would look cool mounted to the side cover.Problem is I don't want to cut a hole then to find out I screwed up.I don't ride in water or rain,but I don't want to lose power.If any of you guys do cut a hole,let me know of the gains.

I like the idea of doing a mock up and testing it out. With no sidecover on there is a definite gain, but also substantially more noise. Maybe I could get a nice pattern that will look good, have enough flow and not be too loud. I guess I want it all! Haaaaa!!!?

Depending on what you read here and there, a vented side panel on the R can yield 1-2 HP, assuming other supporting mods (a free-flowing exhaust, and proper rejetting) are also completed.

But I must admit that I vented my side panel mainly because it I thought the factory Baja 1000 R's looked so cool, the way they were vented. Maybe that reason will not apply to many, but for me it was enough.

I did my own work, you can see the results in My Garage. But there are also moderately-priced kits available (screen, back plates, rivets, etc) plus you can buy the entire panel with the vent mod already installed.

Is it worth it? Is tricking out your mighty Pig important? For me, the looks alone was worth the trouble. If you do your own venting mod, main thing is--like all mods--take time to plan it carefully so you will be happy with the finished product.

Also, I did not notice any significant increase in noise, from the side vent, if that's important.

Have fun. And ride safe.

Hey Bibleman, not sure if the airbox's are the same on the R and the L but the L has a plastic removeable intake piece on the top of the airbox thats fastened with rivets. I removed mine and it opened it up quite a bit.

R....

I.C, I agree, Your side cover looks sharp!?

R....

Rman, I have the snorkel removed already. I think that the way the seat mounts it still hinders very much air from entering.
I see your point. Hmmmm:thinking: I could care less what my bikes look like as I'm not conscious of the bling factor but I think a hole (or holes) of some nature is in order.? Hmmm:thinking: