Clutch Assembly Question

So I'm here putting my clutch back together (basket, plates, etc) and now that everything is back on, the clutch lever has zero tension? I put it all back the same way, but there's not enough pressure on the mechanism that sticks out in the middle of the shaft (the piece that has one ball-bearing in the middle) to push the clutch basket and plates out.

What gives?:excuseme:

One possibility that comes up fairly often:

Assuming that the ball, #18 below, and all the pieces 14-17 are present, check to see if the basket outer thrust washer, #11, is keyed onto the splines and seated correctly. It has a splined inner diameter, and is prone to dropping off the end of the shaft splines when you aren't looking, which moves the clutch boss, and thus, the entire plate stack outward about a quarter inch or more. (if this happens, there will be a considerable bit of end play (in and out) in the basket with the plates removed).

partimage.gifx?d=91599,2,0

One possibility that comes up fairly often:

Assuming that the ball, #18 below, and all the pieces 14-17 are present, check to see if the basket outer thrust washer, #11, is keyed onto the splines and seated correctly. It has a splined inner diameter, and is prone to dropping off the end of the shaft splines when you aren't looking, which moves the clutch boss, and thus, the entire plate stack outward about a quarter inch or more. (if this happens, there will be a considerable bit of end play (in and out) in the basket with the plates removed).

Well the problem ended up being the EXACT order of the plates and spacers. You MUST put them in exactly as the image shows----8-7-8 combo. Anything else and you'll have no clutch. Only took 3 times to get it right. :thumbsup:

Thanks