Opinion on Bridgestone TW301 tire for XR650L

Any opinions out there on the front 21" Bridgestone Trail Wing (TW301) tire for an XR650L? How does it do off-road....looks ok for street, but would like to know if it'll not be knobby enough for trails. Thanks.

They don't call 'em death-wings for nothing!

Dave

What kind of riding do you do? What percentage street? What percentage dirt?

I'd call those trailwings 80% or 90% street. If you ride more dirt something like a MT21 or a D606 would be far better.

Good tire on the street.

No traction off road. None.

What Wheelnut said:prof:

What kind of riding do you do? What percentage street? What percentage dirt?

I'd call those trailwings 80% or 90% street. If you ride more dirt something like a MT21 or a D606 would be far better.

I would say 50/50 street/dirt...sounds like from your advice (and others on this thread) that it sucks in the dirt. :thumbsdn:

At 50/50 do you still recommend the MT21 and D606? :thinking:

More advice is much appreciated.

I agree with all the other posts. Garbage off-road. OK on-road. At about 2500 miles, mine developed a nasty howl on pavement. The tire wore weird too...half of each knob.

I would say 50/50 street/dirt...sounds like from your advice (and others on this thread) that it sucks in the dirt. :ride:

At 50/50 do you still recommend the MT21 and D606? :thumbsup:

More advice is much appreciated.

Those two are more dirt oriented than 50/50. They both to work OK on road. The D606 is built like an off road knobby. The MT21 is pretty close.

For a more 50/50 tire take a look at a Kenda K270. They are a decent compromise, but don't have the off road grip of the D606 or MT21. The K270 is also a little less expensive. The K270 works well on dirt roads and mellow single track. For more aggressive trails a more dirt oriented tire would be better.

I would just run an aggressive knobbie on the front like the 606 or MT21 if you are doing any offroading or dirtroads. Works great and doesn't give up much on the pavement and lasts pretty long too.:thumbsup:

FYI, the Pirelli MT18 is a heck of a front tire too. Believe it or not I have about 3,500 miles on my front and it works really well on dirt and pretty good on the street. I've never had it scare me on road which surprised me considering the spacing of the knobs and its aggressive pattern. One thing I noticed was that on cold days or on cold roads it was more squirrelly than when warmed up.

I'm going to try something else next because I want to achieve a 2:1 tire ratio (2 rear tires per 1 front) but I still find that an aggressive front tire makes ALL the difference off road.

Here's my thread about my FRONT tire search.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546966

Hope it helps.

The MT18 is a good deal better on-road than it has any right to be.

Its much better on the road than the scorpion pro front.

Dave

Looked at the Kenda 270 online...that looks like my Bridgestone TW301. IMO, I think going for the more off-road MT21 front tire is probably to more to my liking of what I need. How does the MT21 do on wet pavement (it rains hard here during monsoon season, and may have to ride on wet pavement to/from my house)?

FYI, the Pirelli MT18 is a heck of a front tire too.
Yeah, I've found also aggressive offroad front tires last and handle decent on pavement and last about as long. The stock (offroad) dunlop on my R is wearing very well and handles fine on the pavement.:thumbsup:

I never had any problems in the rain with the MT21 as long as you ride sensible.