HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thunder wheels

easier was to star a yz400f?

16 posts in this topic

hi i just bought a 98yz400f and im wondering if there is something i can to do to start it easier like a newer cam or fuel/air mixture can anyone help me thanks

do you think it would be worth getting the 450 cam in it?
The absolute best mod you could ever want to do to your particular bike.

Spend the $100 and do the mod, you will never regret it. I too didn't think the starting routine was that bad and was hesitant to do the mod. Thought about it for a year and finally bought the cam, let it sit for a couple more months and then finally put it in. The bike kicks over like a 2 stroke now and starts way, way easier. You can also bump start it on the smallest hill. Absolutely the best mod, do not hesitate to do it.

I purchased my 99 YZ400F with the 450 cab mod already in the bike. After I got the motions down, it takes about 4 kicks to get it to start.

I could not imagine having to deal with the lever but I guess its all in the routine, if you know your bike's routine, your bike is always the easiest bike to start!!!!

Patrick M.

4 kicks? I guess I'll keep my lever, since mine never takes more than 2. I was a little nervous before picking up the bike, but now that I've had it a week and figured out the sequence I have no desire to change it. I'll keep my $100.

Dallas

there is more benefits than just doing away with the lever. I did my 99 yz400 about 6 mo ago and am very happy with it. Mine starts cold max of 4 kicks and once warmed up it is never more than 2. And if it is 2, I messed up on the first kick and did not get it to tdc. The low end abrupt hit that mine had is gone, and the power is way more usable. it will bump start if you need it to, and you don't have to worry about braking the lever off if you crash alot like i do !

jay

i like my decompression lever cause when i around my friends if i tell them they cant ride it they can i enjoy watching then try to start it.:thumbsup: lol

I am looking at buying a 98 yzf 400 and i am wondering if they are hard to work on. i got to try the bike the other day and i loved it, the only thing is i have to convince my parents its a good bike for me. i normally do a little trail and a little track.

On my 99 400 I would roll it over two times to get the oil going and it would start first kick every time, Hot or cold.Loved it.:thumbsup:

4 kicks to start, check your valve adjustment. To those who are still hesitant, dont be. Your bike will never start easier. The people who refuse to do the mod claiming the starting ritual is fine and quick would have been the same people who thought a wheel wouldnt work! Change is difficult for many, others know it is the ONLY constant.

In my opinion, its more like fixing something that aint broke.

I get along fine with the comp release, i'd rather tap that everyonce in a while, than tear into my top end .

In my opinion, its more like fixing something that aint broke.

I get along fine with the comp release, i'd rather tap that everyonce in a while, than tear into my top end .

I see you have 446 kit in a 400? Not sure how you attained 446, combo big bore and stroked crank? You didnt mind doing that, but you wouldnt remove the valve cover and do 1 hours work so you would never have to do any ritual and could easily restart while rolling? Are yours wheels round? Anyone who thinks it is work, probably doesnt like changing the oil either. At least Yamaha thought it was a worthy upgrade.