07 YZF450 cornering fixes???

I love everything about my 07 YZF450 except the inability to turn as quickly and tightly as some bikes I've had and ridden without wanting to wash the front end.

I have set it up with suspension re-valve and lighter Inner chamber springs, taller bars, fork bleed buttons and some other stuff. I slid the forks up in the clamps anywhere from even, to 5mm to 10 mm and ran sag anywhere from 97-100mm. It's better than stock but not nearly as confidence inspiring as the Hondas. It's especially hard to turn on my practice track whcih for the summer is dry and hard and dusty. I have made the mistake of riding my sons crf250r and my buddies 05 crf450 on the same track and seen how good a bike can stick in the front and carve an inside line.

Anyway other than a tire chnage which I plan to do very soon can anyone tell me if they have found a solution such as different triple clamp offset or something. I am giving up too much time trying to tip toe thru corners so I don't wash out. It's especially annoying on right handers because I have a rod in my tib from a broken leg last season that really get's aggravated with repeated dabbing and twisting. I'm thinking about switching brands butI just love the reliability of my YZF. I had a 04 CRF450 but the 2nd rear of racing started breaking parts so I'm leary of going back and I'd like to make the Yami turn like the Honda and get the best of both worlds. I'm eventhinking about dropping down to a 250F but have the same issues on the yami.

thanks, J

If you still have the factory Dunlop on it, a good front tire will help a lot. I also learned to ride standing up as much as possible then sitting down right as I come into the corner. The foward transfer of weight at just the right time helped me. There are alot of guys on here that have no problem turning, and others that do. All brand of bikes have there own feel. You just need to get to know them, and practice.

thanks, I do intend to try a Michelin or maxxis SI before I move the bike. I just don't want toinvest in diffeent offset triple clamps if others have tried them and had no success. I just found using thesame form and position as on a maxxis si equipped crf that it won't stick the tight corner. It's also wider at the radiator and tank than he crf so getting on the tank feels a little odd. trust me I'm practicing alot, which I agree is where it starts.I'm a vet rider. I went back to Yami because I had lots of mechanical issues on my 04 cr450.

^^^ MXA did a comparison test of various triple clamp offsets on a 07 YZ450 recently, and they found that there was no real difference between stock and other offsets. They basically said that the YZ turning issues (I don't have any problems getting mine to turn) were an issue that different offsets can't fix. I'm not sure which issue it was (I think it was either June or July this year), but PM me and I can look it up.

thanks guys, I just spoke to someone who is testing some 24 off set clamps this weekend. It's not that my Yami won't turn it just does not trun as well as some bikes I've ridden and we all know there are lots of turns and time to make up in a moto in them.

I just read the TWMX review of 08 YZF and I think it was Pat Foster who described exactly how my bike feels, harder to take an inside line and likes a rut or outside line- in general.

At any rate I'd like to keep this bike if I can improve the cornering. I tested with a friend who is a VET A rider late this week and we switched bikes for a few laps. He said once he got way up near the gas cap my bike turned really well we just could not sit back and relax as much as we could on his CRF. The YZF require a lot more effort and focus and weight over the front end which alos in my case seems to take a lot more energy. If I get lazy it is pushing. The more open/fast the track the less of a factor this is for me. Tights tracks it's very noticable.

Joe

I have an 07 450 as well. I slid the forks up to the line (not sure how many mills it was) and that I think helped tremendously. It works not only on tight sx-type tracks, but also the hangtown national track as well. I heard that Ride Eng. 22 offset clamps worked wonders without sacrificing high speed stability, but I have yet to try them. Also, DITCH THE DUNLOP. that front tire is horrible!

I just bought an 07 YZ450 yesterday, coming off an 05 RMZ 450, I love the bike, feels much better all around than the zuk, I just rode on a very dry, dusty track today, didn't feel much different that my RMZ, I think it's a matter of riding style and how aggresive you are. If the bike turning was that big a problem for everyone from begginer to pro, Yamaha would have a big problem on thier hands. I'm gunna race the bike for the first time next weekend and cant wait to tear it up, I think it will be just fine. I think after all the reviews everyone has it in their heads that the bike wont turn, well it does, its' crazy if a person thinks this bike will wash out every corner, it wont just ride the thing, stay focused, I love the bike after riding a track today that the experts would say nothing can turn on, cant wait to hit the local track that's tilled up and watered. I'm gunna ride the thing bone stock and form my own opinion, I'll let you all know what I think after a race.

I just bought an 07 YZ450 yesterday, coming off an 05 RMZ 450, I love the bike, feels much better all around than the zuk, I just rode on a very dry, dusty track today, didn't feel much different that my RMZ, I think it's a matter of riding style and how aggresive you are. If the bike turning was that big a problem for everyone from begginer to pro, Yamaha would have a big problem on thier hands. I'm gunna race the bike for the first time next weekend and cant wait to tear it up, I think it will be just fine. I think after all the reviews everyone has it in their heads that the bike wont turn, well it does, its' crazy if a person thinks this bike will wash out every corner, it wont just ride the thing, stay focused, I love the bike after riding a track today that the experts would say nothing can turn on, cant wait to hit the local track that's tilled up and watered. I'm gunna ride the thing bone stock and form my own opinion, I'll let you all know what I think after a race.

Let me know when you ride a tight track or a supercross type of track. I'd be curious as to your thoughts then.

The track I was on today was tight, from what I've read so far the bike is a pig to turn, the steering stem feels like it's welded in straight position, it's crazy!!! ride the bike. If I wash out next weekend on every turn, I will apologize to everyone and sell the bike.

The track I was on today was tight, from what I've read so far the bike is a pig to turn, the steering stem feels like it's welded in straight position, it's crazy!!! ride the bike. If I wash out next weekend on every turn, I will apologize to everyone and sell the bike.

I guess that make roughly 90% of us on this forum CRAZY then.

Don't sell it, ride it fast.?

cant wait to hit the local track that's tilled up and watered. I'm gunna ride the thing bone stock and form my own opinion,
Do yourself one favor first. If you still have the OEM Dunlop 739 on the front, change it out. That tire is a specialized hard surface tire, which actually works OK on packed clay/blue groove tracks, but it gives up a lot on surfaces such as the one you are describing.

The Dunlop 745, 742FA, 952, Pirelli Scorpion Pro, Bridgestone 401A, all are much better choices.

Dr. D and Applied Racig recommend running the rad. lowering kit and 24mm offset triple clamps together.

this is cut and pasted but I calle Applied and e-mailed dr. D earlier today. joe

this is just the clamp info.

OFFSET CLAMPS FOR YZ250f AND YZ450f

Not all riders are the same. Neither are our Triple Clamps.

Choose from 24mm, 25mm(stock), and 27mm offset for your YZ250F or YZ450F (rubber or solid mount).

Dramatically improve your bikes' handling

and save over a half pound!

Applied Racing is pleased to introduce our latest triple clamp sets.

Makes your YZF Stick in the corners!

Improves front end traction & Eliminates push

Over 1/2 pound lighter than stock clamps

Reversible offset bar mounts with choice of height

Available in Solid Mount or Rubber Mount

Your choice of Black, Blue, Red, or Silver

CNC machined from Aircraft quality Billet aluminum

Made right here in SOCAL.

Dr. D and Applied Racig recommend running the rad. lowering kit and 24mm offset triple clamps together.

this is cut and pasted but I calle Applied and e-mailed dr. D earlier today. joe

this is just the clamp info.

OFFSET CLAMPS FOR YZ250f AND YZ450f

Not all riders are the same. Neither are our Triple Clamps.

Choose from 24mm, 25mm(stock), and 27mm offset for your YZ250F or YZ450F (rubber or solid mount).

Dramatically improve your bikes' handling

and save over a half pound!

Applied Racing is pleased to introduce our latest triple clamp sets.

Makes your YZF Stick in the corners!

Improves front end traction & Eliminates push

Over 1/2 pound lighter than stock clamps

Reversible offset bar mounts with choice of height

Available in Solid Mount or Rubber Mount

Your choice of Black, Blue, Red, or Silver

CNC machined from Aircraft quality Billet aluminum

Made right here in SOCAL.

Does the clamps come with different bar clamps? if the only come with 1 set then how would you change the height?