HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
auron

Sold my XRL, wish I hadn't...?

14 posts in this topic

I ride about 30% dirt but I'm looing for a 50-50 bike since I'd rather have it work well on dirt.

Here's what I didn't like about my 650L:

1) I felt like the powerband was narrow in that I was either revving the crap out of it and didn't like the vibration or I was lugging it and it felt like chunk-chunk-chunk.

2) Akward dirt handling. High and heavy

3) Riding position forcer me right up against the tank and the handlebars felt like they were right up against my chest.

I'm thinking of getting a DRZ400 or legalizing a 650R. Will either of these bikes have and engine unlike the 650L's? Or is that the nature of a single?

If I got 50mpg on my L, what does the R get?

I own both R & L. The R's motor is completely different from the L. The transmission is a closer ratio on the R and the engine is water cooled. The R seems to pull harder and may be due to gear ratios; but it just seems like more fun. The R can be a handful on tight trails and really likes long open areas. It depends on your state laws about registering the R for the street. The down side is I would want to ride the R for long distances on the street; between the seat and the wind in your chest, it can be uncomfortable. Of course you can always change the seat foam and install a small, removable windshield.

Haven't ridden the DR and can't really comment about it.

I ride about 30% dirt but I'm looing for a 50-50 bike since I'd rather have it work well on dirt.

1) I felt like the powerband was narrow in that I was either revving the crap out of it and didn't like the vibration or I was lugging it and it felt like chunk-chunk-chunk.

3) Riding position forcer me right up against the tank and the handlebars felt like they were right up against my chest.

I'm thinking of getting a DRZ400 or legalizing a 650R. Will either of these bikes have and engine unlike the 650L's? Or is that the nature of a single?

I love my yamie 426 but I ride 99% dirt :thumbsup:

Nice selection of scooters Jbird:thumbsup:

Thanks! My neighbor keeps telling me to seek professional help.

Thanks! My neighbor keeps telling me to seek professional help.
I can't walk into my local dive without someone saying " that boy has a different motorsickle for ever' day of the week":p

Where you at jbird?? I'm between Hou and Aus off TX237.

1) powerband NARROW on a L ? Even with it geared lower it still should have a wide powerband nor should you have to rev or lug it that low for it to Chug-a-chug-chug. What is the gearing on it ?

Vibration :thumbsup: I really don't have much with mine at all, you sure that thing was running 100% OK ?

2) Yea, it's going to feel awkward towards a DRZ 400 but then the 400 isn't as comfortable on the street either.

3) New set of bars and extentiom clamps would cure that.

Is your L motor in stock condition yet ?

Well I own a 650R and love it, but I'm 6'4 220lbs... However I work at a Suzuki Dealership and have spent alot of seat time on a bone stock (tires, jetting, everything right off the showroom floor) DR-Z400S and I have to say it is one capable bike! It is alot less tiring to ride in single track and technical offroad and the power is not bad at all for a 400! It will pull my ass up to 90mph no problem. So this may be the alternative you are looking for. Lots of mods to boost the power up too. We sell a ton of DR-Z's and I have yet to have a customer that was not happy with their purchase.

I can't walk into my local dive without someone saying " that boy has a different motorsickle for ever' day of the week":p

Where you at jbird?? I'm between Hou and Aus off TX237.

Howdy neighbor! I live down in League City (northern Galveston County) off of I-45. That's a cool assortment you got there. I didn't know they still made the TW200. I rode with a guy out at Cherokee Cycle Ranch that has one of those for his ole lady. Is the RZ350 red and white? Had a friend that had one with some Toomey pipes that you coudn't keep the front wheel on the ground. I gave away a '74 RD350 a few years ago because it it was setting out in my shed going to waste.

Sorry for the thread hijack - we now return you to the subject.

jbird, I sent you a PM.

R.......

Hey Rman, tried to reply but got the message:

Rman of 237 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.