can you still buy bike in a crate

I dont know for sure but i dont think a dealer would send one out in a crate unless you signed some sort of disclaimer, its part of there job to send them out in a roadworthy condition.

From what ive seen there pretty much assembled other than plastics which are wrapped up in the crate.....

i don't think so, i ride for a dealer and a inside scoop is that the manuf...yam or any other will no longer let the dealer do a deal out of the crate.....they charge the dealer for the setup fee from the start.......remember the day i used to buy two bikes n a crate!!!!!!!!!!!! it was so nice to go ahead and doeverything you wanted too.....i think that time is gone...but please keep trying!!!

We can still get ANY bike in the crate over here!

The reason dealers don't is because they get to charge you easy pre delivery $$$ for putting a front wheel on. Actually, it's a bit more than that, but anyway.....

I wish I could buy a bike totally in bits, so I could put it all together!
You could just take it apart. ?

One of my first assignments as a professional motorcycle mechanic, after sorting several buckets of English, Metric, British Standard, and Whitworth fasteners, was to assemble a couple of motorcycles I had never heard of from boxes of parts without a manual. That was fun (in retrospect).

You could just take it apart. :ride:

One of my first assignments as a professional motorcycle mechanic, after sorting several buckets of English, Metric, British Standard, and Whitworth fasteners, was to assemble a couple of motorcycles I had never heard of from boxes of parts without a manual. That was fun (in retrospect).

Hahaha, I end up taking them apart!!!

Everything except the bottom end of the engine.

Whitworth! Old and British...

I see whitworth nuts and bolts coming out of china now. :bonk: I thought they were dead. Someone must have picked up the old dies.

My dad got some from Bunnings (like your home depot) the other day, luckily he still had the spanners from when he did his mechanic trade. There used to be lots of british cars here in Aust. back in the day. ?

That would be so great. Just imagine opening up the crate, no one has touched, sat, started(except for testing at the factory), rode, cleaned, adjusted, moved, touched...etc. the bike yet. its still wrapped in plastic and you get to do a final touch on it to get it ready to roll. that would be great, but unfortunatly you have to pay the dealer about 600 bucks to do it all for you ?

That would be so great. Just imagine opening up the crate, no one has touched, sat, started(except for testing at the factory), rode, cleaned, adjusted, moved, touched...etc. the bike yet. its still wrapped in plastic and you get to do a final touch on it to get it ready to roll. that would be great, but unfortunatly you have to pay the dealer about 600 bucks to do it all for you ?

Six hundred bucks for dealer prep? Time for you to find a new dealer!

• 5 months later...

Ok, so I'm getting my new bike in a crate (in fact it has just been delivered and is waiting for me to rip the carton open). My '07 WR just doesn't give me 'that feeling'. I know I'll need to assemble the bars, front wheel, check/torque bolts, and add gas.

What needs to be done to prep the bike. Does it come with oil, radiator coolant, brake fluids, etc., or does this all need to be added? Any tips from those who do this for a living, or have had to do it themselves. Cheers

Guess I answered my own question. All fluids in and ready except for gas. Bolted it all together and fired her up. A few kicks to get started, but seems to be running just fine. Now I've got to resist the temptation to take it for a ride :applause: and strip down, grease up all the links & bearings, replace the stock chain, change the levers, add some rad guards and get things ready for the jungle. Best part about opening up the boxes in the crate was seeing a full set of spare gaskets, exhaust packing, circlips and some other bits. I wonder if my WR had these at well, but never made it from the dealer. mmmmm ?. Its a Euro spec, so has the longer exhaust and not the shorty (not that I think I'll miss it, given all the negative reviews). We'll see how the Pirelli Scorpion MX tires hold up in the wet clay.

My 2006 YZ450f came from the Thumper Talk store. Best major purchase experience ever!!! I deleted the pictures of mine but basically comes assembled in a steel cage with a cardboard box around it. You need to put the front wheel and fender on and attach the handlebars and the controllers. Half hour if your in a hurry, 45 minutes if you frequently stop to appreciate how new it is.