TransworldMX 08 yZ450f test

Looks like they hit it right on.

"The power delivery was extremely smooth, making the bike very easy to ride, but more aggressive riders felt that in some cases it was a little too smooth, leaving them longing for more bottom-end and mid-range grunt. In addition, there was a slight hesitation on the bottom-end that hampered performance in situation when quick power was critical. … it’s sometimes-stubborn cornering characteristics dulled some of the Yamaha’s shine."

After one ride on the '08 I decided not to buy Yamaha this year. This may be the perfect power distribution for the Beginner through "B" class riders but for me on the tracks I ride on it sucked. Compared to my '06 the fun factor just wasn't there.

--KT--

funny how many owners have now complained on lack of low end grunt on the 08...and this test is the opposite....hmmmmmmm

That hill at Glen Helen does not lie.....sounds like some of you need to twist the throttle more....:excuseme:

Wondering if the 120 tire is a good thing or bad...or if a 110 would be better

This was not a very detailed test but looks favorable...?

Still glad to keep my 06 another year...?

Looks like they hit it right on.

"The power delivery was extremely smooth, making the bike very easy to ride, but more aggressive riders felt that in some cases it was a little too smooth, leaving them longing for more bottom-end and mid-range grunt. In addition, there was a slight hesitation on the bottom-end that hampered performance in situation when quick power was critical. … it’s sometimes-stubborn cornering characteristics dulled some of the Yamaha’s shine."

After one ride on the '08 I decided not to buy Yamaha this year. This may be the perfect power distribution for the Beginner through "B" class riders but for me on the tracks I ride on it sucked. Compared to my '06 the fun factor just wasn't there.

--KT--

They didnt hit anything on the head. He was refering to the 07 when he was tallking about the power lacking. He says the 08 has bottom and mid power hit. Go back and re read it.

I think the 07 has more power by far than the 08.

I think the only thing constant that i have read so far on thumpertalk and then the TW mag review is that the 08 corners better. As far as what you guy's said on the power and what TWMX said, somebody's damn wrong for sure. I assume the thumpertalk guys are right and if the 08 does indeed lack some punch in the bottom end, i would assume it is because that exhaust has it choked. Why doesn't one of you guys borrow a slip-on system from a buddy or soemthing just to test it? I think that would yield some interesting results whether improvements are noticed or not. If the bike still lacks with a different exhaust, then it could possibly be that yamaha made a bad move with the new cams.

They didnt hit anything on the head. He was refering to the 07 when he was tallking about the power lacking. He says the 08 has bottom and mid power hit. Go back and re read it.

I think the 07 has more power by far than the 08.

You are quite right. It so described the lack I felt while riding the '08 I thought that was what they were talking about. I have never ridden an '07 but either way I was disapointed with the '08.

Anyone thinking I just didn’t turn the throttle enough should know that I raced and qualified the pro nationals and pro supercross not all that long ago. I don’t guess that I could still qualify for an outdoor event (certainly not indoors) but if I had nothing to do but train for it anything is possible. In other words I still twist the throttle pretty hard.

--KT--

I think the only thing constant that i have read so far on thumpertalk and then the TW mag review is that the 08 corners better. As far as what you guy's said on the power and what TWMX said, somebody's damn wrong for sure. I assume the thumpertalk guys are right and if the 08 does indeed lack some punch in the bottom end, i would assume it is because that exhaust has it choked. Why doesn't one of you guys borrow a slip-on system from a buddy or soemthing just to test it? I think that would yield some interesting results whether improvements are noticed or not. If the bike still lacks with a different exhaust, then it could possibly be that yamaha made a bad move with the new cams.

Personally, it wasn't my bike to change. The owner left the track with plans to buy a pipe because he felt the same way I did. I'm sure I'll get to try it again with the retrofit and I have no doubt that it will be much better. For me I just can't see buying a new bike knowing I have to spend a lot of money just to make it equal. I don't mind spending for upgrades but it bother me to spend to get even.

This is just my opinion and it's based on the fact that I'm not rich and I’d rather spend my hard earned money to go faster not 'just as fast'.

--KT--

Over the weekend I got a chance to take a couple laps on an 08. I would agree with the fact it's a bit soft on bottom compared to the competition. The owner said he's changing the exhaust asap which I believe will help it out. My 07 responded nicely to the exhaust change. I didn't ride the bike long enough to really get a good impression of it...it was brand new, so like most new bikes it felt nice and tight.

While I don't put a lot on a magazine opinion of a bike I did see that while the Transworld guys wrote a pretty good review of the bike the MXA test basically threw it under the bus...especially the motor.

Over the weekend I got a chance to take a couple laps on an 08. I would agree with the fact it's a bit soft on bottom compared to the competition. The owner said he's changing the exhaust asap which I believe will help it out. My 07 responded nicely to the exhaust change. I didn't ride the bike long enough to really get a good impression of it...it was brand new, so like most new bikes it felt nice and tight.

While I don't put a lot on a magazine opinion of a bike I did see that while the Transworld guys wrote a pretty good review of the bike the MXA test basically threw it under the bus...especially the motor.

Interesting to see what MXA said, can you fill us in? They are usually the ones to say all things great about the yami.

Personally, it wasn't my bike to change. The owner left the track with plans to buy a pipe because he felt the same way I did. I'm sure I'll get to try it again with the retrofit and I have no doubt that it will be much better. For me I just can't see buying a new bike knowing I have to spend a lot of money just to make it equal. I don't mind spending for upgrades but it bother me to spend to get even.

This is just my opinion and it's based on the fact that I'm not rich and I’d rather spend my hard earned money to go faster not 'just as fast'.

--KT--

I see your point but i find it hard to believe it is that bad stock that it will affect you in a race. If it is however, most people swap out their stock exhausts anyways, if thats all that needs to be done to have a stellar bike, then when you think about it, it aint that bad.

Interesting to see what MXA said, can you fill us in? They are usually the ones to say all things great about the yami.

I don't know what MXA said, but to add one more point of comparison, "Dirt Rider" liked it and said the 08 power is between the brutal 06 delivery and the tame 07.

In a nutshell they said it was slow and while improved...it still didn't turn. They have a test on it in their latest issue.

Like I said, I don't put much credability on tests. I enjoy reading them but as seen, you get pretty wide opinions between magazines. I wouldn't base which bike I'm buying from what a magazine has to say about it. All the bikes are so good nowadays it's usually only nit-picking anyways.

In a nutshell they said it was slow and while improved...it still didn't turn. They have a test on it in their latest issue.

Like I said, I don't put much credability on tests. I enjoy reading them but as seen, you get pretty wide opinions between magazines. I wouldn't base which bike I'm buying from what a magazine has to say about it. All the bikes are so good nowadays it's usually only nit-picking anyways.

That's weird, i guess MXA are the first that i have heard of so far that think the 08 yami still has turning problems. Everyone so far has raved about it.

You mean like when they called the '05 450 an underpowered, top heavy tank? :excuseme:

Well let's face it, in 05, i don't quite think anybody would choose the YZF over the CRF, i have not ridden the 05 YZF but i would not have bought one, on the other hand, i love the new yamis, that's why i own one. I think you mis understood me there Gray, i wasn't saying that MXA pampers the blue bikes or lies or is payed to speak good about them ( i know there has been arguments on this in the past so i'm not going there with that because i simply don't know the facts, only the mags themselves know). What i was saying, is that i have found them in the past to take a liking to the Yamis, especially the 250 smoker (and they were right, that bike is/was excellent). They also loved the 06 YZF450 if i remember clearly, so it seems wierd they dislike the 08's cornering abilities. What i am really questioning here is, if the poster who said he read the mxa review, remembers accurately what he read. And he did respond concluding the same thing he did in his first post about the MXA review, so i assume either the MXA testers didn't like it (personal preference) or there is infact still a slight bug. Who knows, i hope its the first one because i would like to stay blue :ride:

Well let's face it, in 05, i don't quite think anybody would choose the YZF over the CRF, i have not ridden the 05 YZF but i would not have bought one, on the other hand, i love the new yamis, that's why i own one. I think you mis understood me there Gray, i wasn't saying that MXA pampers the blue bikes or lies or is payed to speak good about them ( i know there has been arguments on this in the past so i'm not going there with that because i simply don't know the facts, only the mags themselves know). What i was saying, is that i have found them in the past to take a liking to the Yamis, especially the 250 smoker (and they were right, that bike is/was excellent). They also loved the 06 YZF450 if i remember clearly, so it seems wierd they dislike the 08's cornering abilities. What i am really questioning here is, if the poster who said he read the mxa review, remembers accurately what he read. And he did respond concluding the same thing he did in his first post about the MXA review, so i assume either the MXA testers didn't like it (personal preference) or there is infact still a slight bug. Who knows, i hope its the first one because i would like to stay blue :ride:

When the MXA did the 06 450 test they said it was the lightest 450 and handled awesome, and did not have a push. When the 07 test came out the 450 Suddenly developed a push, even though the 07 turned better than the 06 , then in one issue the said that the push on the 07 was unfixable. MXA needs to make up their mind.

When the MXA did the 06 450 test they said it was the lightest 450 and handled awesome, and did not have a push. When the 07 test came out the 450 Suddenly developed a push, even though the 07 turned better than the 06 , then in one issue the said that the push on the 07 was unfixable. MXA needs to make up their mind.

They all test this way. The early tests love the bike. The mid year tests start getting picky. The end of the year tests make you feel like you bought a pile of junk........Then surprise! Its new model time and the cycle repeats.

• Like 1