XR650R edelbrock cables and tall setups?

Does anybody run the edelbrock pumper carb with tall bar setups? I'm specifically running the BRP submount and Pastrana FMX bars and want to know if the cables will reach? Thanks.

Lee

Cables won't reach. They are a little longer than stock, but wouldn't reach on mine. I've got Tag CR double hi's with extended risers and had to order new cables. Luckily Motion Pro makes the cables for Edelbrock so it was no problem. I just called Motion Pro and had them send me all the cables I needed in extended length.

Man I just spoke with the guy at Motion Pro and he was no help at all! I emailed Denise at Barnums too and she said that cables for the Yamaha Raptor will work? But she wasn't too sure. Looks like this is going to be a pain in the rear. Thanks though ESS.

I installed a GPR v2 stabilizer on my R. The v2 has an integrated riser design that includes about a 1.5" rise. I also installed Applied Racing ProTaper bars.

When I got my Edlebrock from Barnums, the stock cables fit, no problem. I just went out to the garage just now and checked and I estimate that I could run yet another 1-1.5" rise and still use those stock Eddy 650R-spec'd cables.

Now I should mention that for asthetic reasons I installed my (Edlebrock-supplied) throttle housing such that the throttle cables are routed below the bar, not above, as is the usual / factory routing. This probably adds an inch or two extra length to the cables and has the added benefit of tucking the throttle cables down low, protecting them from limbs, etc.

Unless you are running 2"+ risers you should be good with the 650-spec'd cables, particularly if you use the lower routing like I did.

Here's a view of my setup: garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=21385

Hope this helps.

You don't find they bind up when routed that way? I've got an '06 650L with the Edelbrock Pumper and with the cables that came with it I find they bind up like crazy at both ends of the steering radius no matter how I route them (I've tried every possible routing you can imagine) I ordered a set from Terrycables that are an inch longer and I'm just waiting for them to arrive. I've also ordered a set of cables from Motion Pro and one of their throttle assemblies, waiting for it to arrive also. If the Terrycables fit I'll use them because I'd rather not swap out the stock throttle assembly.

Man I just spoke with the guy at Motion Pro and he was no help at all! I emailed Denise at Barnums too and she said that cables for the Yamaha Raptor will work? But she wasn't too sure. Looks like this is going to be a pain in the rear. Thanks though ESS.

That's weird. My friend just ordered the whole extended setup for his bike from Motion Pro two days ago. He's also running the Edelbrock. He had no problem ordering them. I could try and get a contact name from him if you like. I ordered mine a while ago so I didn't have a name to give him. He just called and asked.

Also, just so you know, the risers I'm using with the CR double highs are 2" risers. I'm running the throttle up like it's supposed to be, but I have my cables routed like my CRF450R (in front of the bars, not behind them). I have the extended risers for now but I plan on running the sub-mount in the future so I made sure I had the right length. I think the sub-mount may be taller than my 2" risers but I still have a little room to play.

You don't find they bind up when routed that way?

Nope, no problems at all routing off the bottom.

ESS,

Yeah that would help if I had his contact name or number and they (Motion Pro) could look it up by that. This guy I was talking to was using circular logic with me...I thought it was Carl Sagan for a second. My head hurt.

That's weird. My friend just ordered the whole extended setup for his bike from Motion Pro two days ago. He's also running the Edelbrock. He had no problem ordering them. I could try and get a contact name from him if you like. I ordered mine a while ago so I didn't have a name to give him. He just called and asked.

Also, just so you know, the risers I'm using with the CR double highs are 2" risers. I'm running the throttle up like it's supposed to be, but I have my cables routed like my CRF450R (in front of the bars, not behind them). I have the extended risers for now but I plan on running the sub-mount in the future so I made sure I had the right length. I think the sub-mount may be taller than my 2" risers but I still have a little room to play.

I installed a GPR v2 stabilizer on my R. The v2 has an integrated riser design that includes about a 1.5" rise. I also installed Applied Racing ProTaper bars.

When I got my Edlebrock from Barnums, the stock cables fit, no problem. I just went out to the garage just now and checked and I estimate that I could run yet another 1-1.5" rise and still use those stock Eddy 650R-spec'd cables.

Now I should mention that for asthetic reasons I installed my (Edlebrock-supplied) throttle housing such that the throttle cables are routed below the bar, not above, as is the usual / factory routing. This probably adds an inch or two extra length to the cables and has the added benefit of tucking the throttle cables down low, protecting them from limbs, etc.

Unless you are running 2"+ risers you should be good with the 650-spec'd cables, particularly if you use the lower routing like I did.

For a view of my setup, check out my R in the "My Garage" link.

Hope this helps.

I just ordered Pastrana FMX bars, and I currently have the lowest rise mount option on BRP triples. It seems the stock cables might be a little short for the extra rise of the Pastrana bars? Anyone have experience with this set up? Just wondering if I will need to get longer cables?

Thanks InternalCombustion. I looked at your setup and will try to route mine that way.

Lee

InternalCombustion,

Good advice and just in time for my Pro-taper CR-Hi bar, BRP/Scotts underbar damper & Cycra pro guards install this weekend on my Edied BRP.

Real nice motard you have. That's one of the variations I am working towards and am just about to order the 17" wheels....5.0" rear rim !?

Husky123,

I'll get the contact number tonight at work when I talk to my friend. If he doesn't have it on him I might not get you the info till monday.

InternalCombustion,

Bad ass Sumo. I just got my 17's for the conversion too. Hopefully I'll have it all done by next weekend. Got some new motor parts for it while it's down also. Oh, and what bars are those? You do seem to have enough room with your sub-mount set up.

Sounds good ESS...thanks again.