2007 WR450 vs. 1982 XR500R

Does anyone know what the power and torque of a standard WR450 is?

Having just put my new(ish) 07 WR450 against my old 1982 Honda XR500R am embaressed to admit that I got cleaned up ... on top end AND acceleration ??????? I know that the XR puts out 19.7 Kw in standard trim, and with the mod's I've done, it's supposed to be in the order of 25Kw.

The Honda has an XL500, (non reed lock barrel), and a Supertrap pipe, else is still in standard trim, and my WR has all the "free mods":bonk: ... Little wonder that the "Super Singles" guys still use the Honda motor :mad:

Having just put my new(ish) 07 WR450 against my old 1982 Honda XR500R am embaressed to admit that I got cleaned up ... on top end AND acceleration ??????? I know that the XR puts out 19.7 Kw in standard trim, and with the mod's I've done, it's supposed to be in the order of 25Kw.

The Honda has an XL500, (non reed lock barrel), and a Supertrap pipe, else is still in standard trim, and my WR has all the "free mods":bonk: ... Little wonder that the "Super Singles" guys still use the Honda motor :mad:

Something wrong with your 450 I have a 02 WR 426 and it smokes my 96 XR 600

Fair enough, but the XR500 was a better motor than the XR600, (which is why it is still the motor of choice in Super Singles) ... and the WR450 is a better motor than a WR426 :naughty:

Be that as it is ... I'm NOT amused that a 25 year old bike nails a current one ?

Interesting enough ... the old Yammie XT500 motor is also used in super singles and does very well too :applause:

I see that none of the manufacturers quote power and / or torque figures anymore :naughty: and based on my lil' "test", would like to know whether anyone knows what a standard 07 WR450's power and torque is? :crazy:

The understanding is that open enduro bikes are detuned from there full potential for a reason...traction. If you think the WR should be faster than the XR then why didn't Yamaha just install the YZ engine in there. It's the same idea why the '85 CR500 was detuned over the years to make it more ridable. Just because your new WR got beat in straight line acceleration by an old '82 XR500 doesn't mean that the XR motor is superior, it means that Yamaha feels that they engineered the WR powerplant for lighter weight, better traction and an altogether easier engine to ride for nasty enduro work. If that XR engine could somehow be fitted into your WR chassis you wouldn't like it except for maybe not dealing with crushed radiators and overheating. With the big bikes, newer doesn't mean more power, it means better power.

A riding buddy has a WR426 and can slightly pull my GasGas in a drag race, but that doesn't mean that GasGas can't make more power, they can , and easily, It's just that GasGas thinks that there power is the best power for traction for romping through the woods.

That being said, it's been awhile since I've ridden an old XR500, it would be fun to take a spin on one again...?

It's just that GasGas thinks that there power is the best power for traction for romping through the woods.

GasGas is spanish like sherco right?

Motorcycleusa.com said the same thing about the sherco 4.5i in the '06 450 shootout. It was the weakest bike on the dyno, but it was the easiest bike to ride balls out all day on. They used words like "smooth" and "deceptive" to describe the power.

Maybe them Spainards are onto something

I had an 82 XL500R and it would pull 4th gear roll on wheelies all day long... It's a long stroke motor, I doubt it gets to 30 mph faster than the WR but will, and probably does, have more top end - it's geared for highway use:prof:

GasGas is spanish like sherco right?

Motorcycleusa.com said the same thing about the sherco 4.5i in the '06 450 shootout. It was the weakest bike on the dyno, but it was the easiest bike to ride balls out all day on. They used words like "smooth" and "deceptive" to describe the power.

Maybe them Spainards are onto something

GasGas is Spanish and Sherco is French but both bikes use the same Magneti Marelli EFI system.

Since most riders want more "fun" power, IMO, some enduro bikes are delivered more powerful than they need to be because they will sell, that doesn't always translate into good controlled forward momentum out in the nasties all day. Some riders can make an MX bike go pretty fast in the woods but they are definitely working a little harder to control that extra boost especially the tougher it gets. Even the GasGas 2 strokes have been mellow and smooth since day one and they have never tried to be the most powerful with those either. They know what kind of power works and aren't afraid to stay with it even though most riders are looking to buy more powerful bikes.

Just so happens my GasGas dealer just got an '81 XR500 in on consignment, I'm gonna see if he'll let me take it for a spin down the ally...:ride:

Make no mistake, the XR500R is easy to ride :ride: , is exceptionally comfortable and pulls power wheelies in fourth gear with ease ? , which is why I bought it back in 82. I was racing a Factory Alpha 490 :awww: at the time, which was a beast of note :eek: , and riding the XR was pretty much a chauffeured ride by comparison.

I also recall a couple of guys racing them in the Vets class at the time, and doing well against two smokes on long tracks :moon: !

Be that as it may ... I have done all the "free mod's", (and some), to my WR, and acknowledging that my XR has been very well maintained, and also has a few "mods" ... I'm still a lil' peeved :foul: that my old bike cleaned up my new one! ... also;

I still haven't had an answer to my kwessie(s);

What's the 07 WR450's power output? and;

Why don't bike manufacturers publish this data anymore?

A stock '82 XR500R put out 33 HP at the crank. It was claimed about 1 HP was lost due to the reed block intake set up.

I bought an '82 XR500R new and it would not pull 4th gear power wheelies even with a Supertrapp exhaust. I could get it to pull the front end up but only with a substantial yank on the bars and a lot of throttle. 1st and 2nd would come up easily with throttle only.

A few years ago a buddy of mine had one with a Supertrapp and the XL500R cylinder head. I had an '01 YZ426. We would race and to my disbelief, he would stay right with me. The only thing was my bike was spinning wildly while his was not. We were on hard pack dirt with a little gravel in the mix. During that ride, I let him take the 426 for a spin. When he returned he could not find enough adjectives to describe the awesome power the 426 possesed! He was totally blown away by the bike. So, unless your 500 is some sort of ringer and your 450 is a complete POS, all things being equal (traction) there's no way that 500 should pull your 450. P.S. I also had an '03 WR450 for a while and there's no way my old 500 could touch it in a speed contest.

Thanks so much for the input guys ...

After proving my claims to the Yammie dealers up the road from me, they very red faced went ahead and found the problem ... my WR's CDI was @#$% - ed, (apparently some factory screw up with the incorrect mapping?).

I don't particularly care, other than the latest "testing" revealing that WR's do in fact rule!?

I will add that my WR now behaves remarkably like older large two smoke's with respect to power delivery ... very, very impressive!!!! :bonk: ... and no oil leaks to boot! :ride:

I happen to have an 05 wr450 and an 82 xl500r (mine is street legal). I never ride the old honda any more. I just hate kicking that SOB after a long day on the trail.

I wouldn't say that the xl500 "smokes" the wr, but it definitely has a serious low end and mid range punch to it. The honda seems to be geared a little better, but it also has a smaller rear wheel. That honda is also heavy. Its definitely not for technical trails. I have no idea how you could have gotten "smoked" by it.

If you got smoked, then it must have been on a flat road. The suspension on those bikes are awful compare to the wr. If you roll over anything bigger than a golf ball, that thing will bottom out.

I think you may well be onto something there, along with the thought that engines power outputs on paper dont seem to have improved that much over the past 20 years :bonk: , however there is absolutely no comparison once you get on a newer bike! ? (and I'm speaking specifically of the motors here) ... In my opinion, my WR450 , (now that it's CDI has been repaired), behaves a lot like a large two stroke of a few years ago, and when you add in the frame / handling aspects ... well ... suffice to say that I am VERY VERY impressed :ride:.

As to the XR500R ... It's still a great bike for the occasional leasurly Sunday afternoon ride when no challenge or effort is required ... or ... to teach someone to wheelie?