HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GlobalWarmer

XR650R Clutch Basket Removal

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to remove the outer clutch basket and replace the famed clutch bushing if necessary. The basket just won't budge off of the bushing. The manual is a bit lame. "Remove washer and outer basket". My next step is to try and find a puller to get it off but I wan't to be sure I'm not missing something. It should slide right off the bushing and shaft right?

Did you take the nut off. It should have the collar indented into the key way of the shaft. If you can't get that off use a impact wrench. Once you pull that off the basket should come right off. The shaft is not tapered so there is no need for a puller. Maybe the bushing seized to the shaft?

When I did my bushing it was stuck inside the basket. I had to hone out the basket to get the replacement to fit.

Once you "unpeen" the collar from the shaft, the easiest way to untorque the nut is to use an impact wrench. Then, the basket will slide off.

Untorquing that nut is a major bear, without an impact wrench. Do you have that nut removed yet?

Did you take the nut off. It should have the collar indented into the key way of the shaft. If you can't get that off use a impact wrench. Once you pull that off the basket should come right off. The shaft is not tapered so there is no need for a puller. Maybe the bushing seized to the shaft?

When I did my bushing it was stuck inside the basket. I had to hone out the basket to get the replacement to fit.

Exactly(mine was stuck in the basket as well), once you unpeen the nut from the shaft the impact wrench is the ticket.

I ended up popping it loose with a couple of carefull pry's with a large screwdriver. The issue was that the bushing was stuck in the basket. The top 3/16th of the bushing and the basket have burred each other up. It was the replacement bushing with the holes too. I'm trying to decide if I should hone it or just get another basket with gears from Service Honda. The other parts are coming tomorrow so it will probably be the former.

Thanks for the inputs.

my bushing was the same way. I just hammerd it out and honed it, the new one would not fit without the hone. You want it to slide in and out easily. Make sure you oil everything up too when you put it back together. are you sure it was the replacement, I think the stock one has fewer holes but with more space on the center of the bushing to hold oil.