When the rod met the gearshaft..........

Holy crap, you know what? It looks like the piston slapped the crank counterweights where the cracks are. :confused:

In the first pic...

Look at the broken ends of the small end of the rod. The outer parts of the "h" look different in color the the freshly broken center section. This may sometimes mean a failure had started well before the actual catastrophic failure.

Maybe hairline cracks, or poor metalurgical features in that part of the rod.

Just a thought...

Anyone stopped to think about the forces involved with making a 100mm piston weighing in at 500 grams or more change directions 200+ times a second? I am not going to do the exact math on this but I would venture a guess and say due to G forces a 500 gram piston is probably exerting 16,000+ lbs of force on the rod when the direction is changing.

That is probably enough to exploit any manufacturing flaw in either the rod or piston.

I'm not going to slam anybody wrenching skills .

I'm wondering what the results of hammering in a wristpin would look like?

Alot of people have done it.mostly on disassembly though,maybe this fella is guilty ?only he knows for sure.

I'm not going to slam anybody wrenching skills .

I'm wondering what the results of hammering in a wristpin would look like?

Alot of people have done it.mostly on disassembly though,maybe this fella is guilty ?only he knows for sure.

I've got a nice installer set made by Toyota's tool manufacturer. I uses a hyd. press and has multiple adapters for any piston.

A threaded rod, nuts ,washers and a piece of pvc pipe will also help.

Why would the wrist pin need to be pressed in? I thought that in the XR's the wrist pins are fully floating and held in place with cir clips.

Yes they usualy go in much nicer than they come out.

I think we should all observe a moment of silence for the engines featured in this thread. May they rest in pieces.