What year did the yz450f not feel like a pig on the track?

I have an 01 426 and like many here have said it seems to be a kind of beast on the mx track; specifically the height of the center of gravity of the bike which is evident when you have to pick it back up after laying down. I want to compete in the 250 beginner or 30+ at Lake Elsinore and would like to get a yz450 that is better suited for that than the 426. So my question is when did the big yz lose that heavy feeling? And to what extent are the later models better for mx?

I traded in my 04 for the 06. The 06 feels lighter, and a lot better in the corners compared to the 04, at least I think. I telling ya, the first time I took a high banked corner,(it was an indoor place) it felt like the bike turned itself. Now that I've had it for a year and eight months, I question myself if it still feels top heavy. Oh well, I still think it's an awesome bike, and I doubt I will trade it in for a long time. I just need to keep learning how to get faster.

I recently sold my 01 426 and picked up an 03 YZ 450.

The 450 feels much lighter and turns easier than the 426.

On the other hand, my buddies 07 YZ makes the 03 feel like a turd.

The motor on the 03 is pretty killer if not too much at times. It can definately wear you out faster if you don't use some throttle control. A flywheel weight is in the future for my bike.

Hope this helped.

KC

I have an 01 426 and like many here have said it seems to be a kind of beast on the mx track; specifically the height of the center of gravity of the bike which is evident when you have to pick it back up after laying down. I want to compete in the 250 beginner or 30+ at Lake Elsinore and would like to get a yz450 that is better suited for that than the 426. So my question is when did the big yz lose that heavy feeling? And to what extent are the later models better for mx?

I have ridden many year YZ's starting in '02, and Yamaha made major strides in '05 in the suspension catagory, and then really took a leap foreward in the weight reduction in '06. My '07 feels about the same as my buddies' '06 weight wise....