(Another) dual carb question....'90 XR600

Heres a little background to the problem....

I'm using a dual carb setup on what is basically a '90 XR600, the engine came from a '84 XL600. I changed the single boot on the '90 airbox with dual boots from an older model. The problem is the airbox boots are about 1/2" too short.

My question:

On the airbox boots I'm not sure if I should..

1. Make/find some sort of spacer to just fit between the carbs and boots.

2. Add a extra plate between the carbs and head to move the carbs back?

3. Modify the boot/airbox mount to move the boots 1/2" forward?

Moving the carbs back would be the easiest (I think) but I'm not sure how that would effect performance.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Michael

what if you used a couple of those pod filters i think they are called. One for each carb, then ditch the airbox.

I was reading awhile back about a guy that lenghtened his intake,and lost power.So you might not want to move your carb back.Hope this helps some.

Yes shorter intake the better for power, but 1/2" rearwards will be unnoticeable (I experimented with +4" on my 675 and it only made 53HP! But it should have made more)

I used to run a XL600 with dual carb with pod filters and also had no problems, so you have a few choices it seems

I had posted a reply yesterday, but it dissapeared into cyberspace!?

Anyway, there is supposed to be a spacer between the intake ports on teh head and the intake boots that connect the carb to the head. The spacer is about 1/2" thick. You can sort of see it in these pictures of my '84 XL600R.

151_5117.jpg

151_5124.jpg

Here's the complete rebuild of my XL600R if it would be of any help:

http://www.nbdsc.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274

Nummie - Your bike rack is Really well thought out and executed. If you ever want to get rid of it, let me know.

I had posted a reply yesterday, but it dissapeared into cyberspace!?

Here's the complete rebuild of my XL600R if it would be of any help:

http://www.nbdsc.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=274

Man, you really did a lot of work to that Nummie ! Looks good.

Did you keep tabs on the hours/$$ it took you for the rebuild ?

You anywhere near DCH Toyota ? I bought a Accord wagon off them a year ago or so, just curious if you right by them?